Exhaust header wrap

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
What's the big difference in exhaust wraps~?~

I was going to order some for the Busa, but ran into all kinds of options...

I run the tan stuff currently (which also seems to be the cheapest) on my ATV's, not so much for performance as it is to keep the heat from your leg

They now have black and white (some by thermo tech) and I have noticed that when listed, some have different degree ratings (1000-2000) but most do not list any temp rating at all.

I am planning on wrapping the Busa header...

The tan is fiberglass, but the more expensive stuff has other material options~!~

Exhaust wrap black.jpg

Exhaust wrap tan.jpg

Exhaust wrap white thermo tech.jpg

hmmm header wrap :beerchug:

To Make things easier on yourself during the instal take the headers off, soak the wrap in water, wear gloves, don't spray them with anything. Once istalled run the engine in a well ventilated area. Get it completely up to temp a few times to so to say "cure" the wrap. It'll smoke like mad and stink the first time or two.

As far as the difference, like you said, some are plain, some have graphite, some have copper, etc. They're all good for what they do. :beerchug:

PA115382.jpg

Kevin Camron says....

:laugh:

cheers
ken

Attachments

• header wrap0001.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 481
Make sure the wrap is like a roof of a house. In other words, you wrap the winds, the fold of the wrap will either expose the water into the wrap [helping to rust out the pipe] or the wrap will cause the water to lay over the wrap and drop outside the wrap; is the way the wrap runs around the tube.

If you wrap from the top down, that is one way. If you wrap from the bottom up, that is the other way watching the 'roof wrap' expose itself to the correct wind direction. For practice on a dry run, just take a broom handle or a cut off piece of pvc water pipe and wrap the winds to understand what I mean about the roof type pattern you need to follow so you do not rust the pipe somewhat internally. The condensation alone is going to work it's magic somewhat each time you shut down the bike.

What does wrap do? It keeps the heat moving out the pipe to clean the chamber on the overlap. If the pipe cools downstream, this slows the air flow down. Will it be so efficient on the overlap, it pulls the fresh air charge out the chamber? I think so. So, less wrap is better than more wrap. The tighter the wrap, the better the fit. Do not distort the fiber as in an over-tight stress factor you separate the fiber mesh.

Thanks for the info...as you say the cooler air does not discharge from the pipe as quickly. Reading up on it, I found a more elimentary explanation that clicks...the cooler air is more dense, therefore not moving as quickly.

Kevin Camron says....

:laugh:

cheers
ken

Hhhmmm, in that attachment, it says not to heat wrap Titanium pipes. My bike has a TI Force full exhaust system. I've just taken my fairings off for the first time, and someone had wrapped the pipes at the bottom of the headers. I'm assuming to keep the heat off the plastics. There's also heat tape on the fairings, which I'm planning to replace/add to. The wrap was all frayed on the bottom (bottoming out, too low) so I'm taking it off. So I shouldnt re-wrap the pipes?. It was only done in maybe a 1ft section, from the bottom of the header to the "collector" part. Here's a pic.

IMG_0101.jpg

Did some more searching online and it looks like wrapping titanium pipes is not good. That answers my question then.. :whistle: :)

If the pipes are too close to the fairings I would go ahead and wrap that one section with the wrap. I would rather mess up the pipe a little then have to replace 2 side fairings.

I was told before I header wrapped my Camaro's headers that if you overlap the header wrap more than a 1/4"... it'll retain to much heat in that area and could possibly warp the header... Just FYI.

there are situation/applications where header wrap can be a bad thing and cause ill effects. I'll fully admit that. Cast Iron exhaust manifolds under a closed hood inside a hot engine compartment with salt spray every other day wouldn't do well with header wrap (worst case scenario).
On a motorcyle application I've never seen any header or exhaust failures caused by header wrap. Yes, I have heard a friend of a friend said something bad about wrap but that's about it (urban legend). :laugh:

There is some heat tape on the fairings now, I just bought 2 more rolls. I think I'm just going to put some more on in some spots and go from there. The wrap that was on the pipes was pretty loose and I'm not sure it was doing all that much anyway.

Back