exhaust gaskets

teamorion22

Registered
is there a trick to removing them? the stock gaskets. my bike has 19k on it, 2007 busa. also i read here on the .org that someone just turned theirs around after removing them and reused them.

i am installing a yosh pipe

any help or advice is appreciated
thanks
mike

leave them alone... flipping them is not going to do any good and you only stand a chance of damaging them.. if you have a leak, you can either use a thin smear of high temp silicone or just replace the things.. (do not use silicone on any bike with an 02 sensor)

is there a trick to removing them? the stock gaskets. my bike has 19k on it, 2007 busa. also i read here on the .org that someone just turned theirs around after removing them and reused them.

i am installing a yosh pipe

any help or advice is appreciated
thanks
mike

No tricks,leave them as is.

Last edited:
I'm re-installing the exhaust system on my 02 and I swear I can't see or feel any type of gasket inside the cylinder head exhaust port... I looked in my Shop manual and it doesn't show any either?

they are there, just a compressed steel mesh gasket about 1/4 inch thick.. they tend to stick in the port.. shine a light in the port, you can see them

Do you really want to risk pulling the bodywork and the pipe again to fix an exhaust leak to MAYBE save a couple bucks?

If you are an amateur mechanic, as am I, you eliminate as many variable as you can...do as recommended by the manual until you have personal experience on any particular service issue.

Blue

Do you really want to risk pulling the bodywork and the pipe again to fix an exhaust leak to MAYBE save a couple bucks?

If you are an amateur mechanic, as am I, you eliminate as many variable as you can...do as recommended by the manual until you have personal experience on any particular service issue.

Blue

Very good advice! The gaskets are too cheap to worry about.

I have reused the gaskets for multiple installs.. never had an issue..

Than you have the personal experience of which I speak.

Blue
really there is nothing about them to make them fail UNLESS they have been removed and damaged or the head pipe itself is damaged..

My guess is they are far more likely for heat insulation than gas entrapment . Hot exhaust systems can pump a lot of heat into a motor and so an some engines, the gaskets are in place only to manage the thermal conduction..

Exhaust systems can "self seal" to some extent with carbon even.. (Ford/Chev/Chrys. all ran motors without gaskets at one time or another on exhaust, we had to add gaskets in the southwest to calm overheating issues)..

Well I'm pulling my front end off to get the fork seals replaced so I will definitely be able to see straight into the ports and get at the old exhaust seals. Like most, better safe than sorry. I'd rather do the job right the first time and not have to worry about it failing on me later down the road in the middle of no where...

Back