Exhaust for ca, dump pipes illegal.

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so I asked the LPO up at the front gate who has a GSXR1000 about turbo's and CA state laws. I told him im going to be getting a turbo and about regulations for them. He told me they wont pass if its a dump pipe, duh, and it has to pass a Emitions test. Which I know the guy that does the tests so ill pass that regardless. But I was wondering, can you take a Yoshi can or some other can and use it with a turbo? Gut the can? Or just run a straight? What have yall seen done with full Exhaust or personally done? Just wondering, thanks yall.

What emissions test? Are you taking a 48 state model into CA? If so than its the CHP who do the inspection. NO emissions test that I know of.

your in ca. i do'nt think a turbo would pass emissions there.ca. bikes came with some added emissions stuff along with the cat in the exhaust system.

I don't know much about turbos but regarding CA smog, I have to believe you CAN make them legal in regard to emissions testing. How many cars are sold with factory turbos? Enough to make me believe it can be done.

Found this at Racing Beat:

"What does it mean when an aftermarket product is advertised as "CARB Exempt" or "50 State Legal"?

Although a part may be advertised as "50 State Legal", this may be more of a marketing statement than reality. Unless an emissions sensitive part has been issued an Executive Order number by CARB, or an EPA exemption, the part is NOT legal for street use. Parts that are typically appointed CARB exemptions include: headers, air filter/intakes, turbo kits, and supercharger kits. Parts that are typically not eligible for a CARB exemption include, but are not limited to: OBD II replacement catalytic converters (as of early 2005, only a few 1997 and later OBD II catalytic converters have been granted an exemption), downpipes or headers that remove or relocate a catalytic converter, and performance carburetor kits. Contact the manufacturer of a product that you are considering purchasing for details regarding that specific component.

An exhaust system that is installed AFTER the catalytic converter is considered a "cat-back" system and is considered emissions legal. (Sound level restrictions may be an issue in your state, check with the exhaust manufacturer or you local authorities for more information.)"

You're right about one thing, though. If you go in there with the dump pipe on it, it will not pass the visual inspection.

--Wag--

Ok, so I asked the LPO up at the front gate who has a GSXR1000 about turbo's and CA state laws. I told him im going to be getting a turbo and about regulations for them. He told me they wont pass if its a dump pipe, duh, and it has to pass a Emitions test. Which I know the guy that does the tests so ill pass that regardless. But I was wondering, can you take a Yoshi can or some other can and use it with a turbo? Gut the can? Or just run a straight? What have yall seen done with full Exhaust or personally done? Just wondering, thanks yall.
Do you need to take your bike to DMV to have it inspected because it's a "out of state" model
rock.gif
If so take it down there in STOCK condition and have the title transferred...once you have a CA title, then go turbo
wink.gif

Do you need to take your bike to DMV to have it inspected because it's a "out of state" model
rock.gif
If so take it down there in STOCK condition and have the title transferred...once you have a CA title, then go turbo
wink.gif
That's right. I don't think you have repetitive smog checks on motorcycles once they've been registered.

--Wag--

Motorcycles are never smog tested here. That will change in 2008. All that is currently required is a CAL EPA CERTIFIED factory decal.  Military personnel can be granted a temporary waiver with the proper documenation but I hear its a PIA.

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157309458 -->

I just registered mine out of Cali. I got it registered in Kansas now since I am still a legal resident of Kansas. Once I get hte money for the turbo I want I will get it put on.

(gat0r @ Sep. 03 2006,07:13) just safety inspection here in tx, so unsure ...sorry
not totally true....some tx counties require an emmissions test if the vehicle is 2 years or more older than its build date.

(V8N3T @ Sep. 02 2006,23:39) But I was wondering, can you take a Yoshi can or some other can and use it with a turbo? Gut the can? Or just run a straight? What have yall seen done with full Exhaust or personally done? Just wondering, thanks yall.
Yes .....of course it's not "legal" . I have D&D's that have been completely gutted . Nothing but an empty aluminum can !
wink.gif

Back