exhaust cam broke

flyby

Registered
anybody know when the cam breaks if the pistons are ok?
broke exhaust cam after installing new timing chain. engine ran half hour or more before it broke. then it ran on one cyl tilli got it home. no compression in 1 and 3. gas on plugs 1-3 and running on cylinder 4. gotta install new exhaust cam obviously, but did the pistons get hurt?

They may have.
You said you were driving it easy so it most likely may not have.
I would change the cam and turn it over without the plugs in and see what gives?
JMO

I had the same thing happen to mine. It took out one or two valves and started to burn oil. I later found out the when the valve stem got bent it damaged the valve guide. I would check it over good.
Posted via Mobile Device

The engine is not a zero interference engine. The pistons can damage the valves, and valves the engine, if the cam stops and the crank keeps turning.

The engine is not a zero interference engine. The pistons can damage the valves, and valves the engine, if the cam stops and the crank keeps turning.

100000000+ if it were my busa I would take the head down and do a very thorough inspection and check for bent valves before I ran it. :please:

Take the head off, replace ALL the valves, and ALL the guides....look the piston heads over thoroughly !!! This isn't like a mitsu, or a nissan, or anything else. Be meticulous. She'll return in kind !!! :super:

sounds like its time for a used head instead of a used cam. Maybe i can locate a borescope and see if the pistons have any marks on them before i tear it down. If it does indeed need extensive headwork, well then it is sooner rather than later that i put turbo pistons in it and hang my spare turbo on it. thanx guys for the help. i will keep u informed of the damage assessment.

Get the head checked out and another set of cams. Or you can replace the head/cam assy altogether for probably the same cost as the cam. I'd definitly pull the head off to inspect it and the pistons. This isn't the time to assume it's alright.

Back