Evil Black Rifle thread. I didn't think shooting would ever be FUN again.

NCBusa2001

Registered
It's been a long time since I have posted but I thought I would drop in and share some thoughts. Especially here at the home of the "more money than sense" website. :laugh: I didn't see any Slide Fire threads, so thought I would give a review.

I suppose first off I should announce the birth of our "latest" son, which makes 5 lovely children total. Everyone is doing well and I'm still loving the military surplus sales (way cooler than nursing). I can't really ride very much anymore, longer than about an hour anyway. However, I am still able to get to the range enough to stay profecient.

Performing the same drills year after year had really taken the "fun" out of guns for me. So after stumbling across a youtube video of the Slide Fire stock, I began some research. I found one of the local shops in Fayetteville selling them and I was NOT impressed. They wanted $329 for an AK version which I thought was insane. It sure didn't feel like Magpul quality plastic (maybe one step ahead of airsoft plastic). I laughed to myself and walked out of the store.

Months went by and I still had that nagging thought in my head,....the "go ahead and buy one" kind of thoughts. So I found an AK version for $299 and took the plunge. I got home only to realize that it wouldn't fit on any of the AK's without some major dremmel work. I was ill, thinking I had just wasted $300, until I thought about the Saiga 12 (converted 922r compliant). Sure enough, IT FIT! Off to the range we went. To my amazement it WORKED and emptied the 20 round drum in short order. Though my shoulder was screaming WTF. :laugh:

Being the impulsive spender that I am, I went out the next day and bought the AR version (SBS). Installed it on a lower and took it to the range expecting a whole bunch of awesome. Not so much, as it wouldn't string more than a few shots together. I was getting FTF, FTE, carrier bounce and light primer strikes. Thinking in for a penny in for a pound, I threw some more cash at the problem praying I could get it working. Changed to a H (shakey one) buffer and Geissele FCG (SD 3-gun 3.5# single stage). And back to the range we went.

All I can say, is UN FREAKING BELIEVABLE. Worked without any issues at all going through $100 worth of ammo and left me with that cheese eating grin. I have fired all manner of select fire weapons over the years and have always wanted to own one. I almost talked myself in spending $12k on a circa 1980 A2 once upon a time. However for $600 (stock, buffer, trigger) it is the same bang for much less bucks. I can't tell a difference in the rate of fire between this thing and a m4. I even got it to work with a CMMG 22 conversion bolt using a very light touch (though not as reliable as the 5.56). I can't imagine the BBG (beer, backer and guns) people ever approved this contraption. It is for sure to ruffle some anti-gun people's sensibilities.

Anywho, thought I would share. What I initially thought was silly now has me looking forward to going to the range again.

Respectfully submitted for the orgs review.

Cheers, Chris

chris my man..!!!! how you been...missed ya...was just showing alex my new acquisitions of my RPK Romanian drugnov clone and my new pistols...she is up for the weekend and wants to go shooting but im not sure we have the time as we leave first light am to go to an amusement park for the weekend. then when we get back on sunday she returns to SC on monday.... i been wanting to try the slide fire but im slowing down a little on the weapons and ammo as its getting ridiculous for price and availability here.

Good to see ya on here. That RPK I'm sure is sweet. I still have some "good stuff" ammo for that thing. As far as the slide fire, I was way skeptical but am now a believer. Not that FA has any practicality, but neither do motorcycles that are into triple digits in second gear, lol. The other shooters at the range (which probably hadn't seen one before) were wondering what what going on. A barrel full of monkeys full of fun, IMHO.

Chris

pics or it didnt happen lol

I'm a little tin-foil hat for that, but youtube is full of brave souls for your veiwing pleasure. My wife is off till October, so hopefully I can make it to the fall bash and bring da heat, lol. Rockin Robbinsville.

did we ever mark that range you me and colton found...that was a little gem i tell ya so other bash attendees can know where it is

Not that I know of. I have tried to find it again on the maps but to no avail. I can't remember how Colton found it. Would love to know though. If you ever have free time passing through the middle of NC give me a shout and maybe we can shoot at our local club.

hey stranger, glad to hear you are still around and having fun...congrats on the latest young'n :beerchug:

It's good to see you posting Chris!! Sounds like things are going well and congrats on the newest addition to the family!! :bowdown:

Did I accidentally log into ARFCOM? :laugh:

I have been wanting one of these slidefire stocks for some time, but for the price you can have a nice (maybe used) optic.

I am going to rethink that sooner than later, like now. I need a "pre-ban" one. ??? (I can't believe they are allowed. Surely
their time is limited, after all, the ATF ruled a shoestring a machine gun).

I have other class 3 weapons, but this would be fun and cheap compared to them (except for ammo)...

Congrats on the new addition to the family. 5 kids? Geez I am doing 30 hour days just trying to keep up with my 8 year old twins. :laugh:

Last edited:
Redherring, Thanks. I haven't been "stoked" about gun stuff in a long time. What get me is how accurate it is, compared to traditional bump-firing. It seems to be a tad more controlable than tradional select fire stuff. I think the constant forward pushing motion thats required brings the muzzle back down.

I just finished working on a 5.7X28 bolt. I'm hoping that upper will work also. I'm going to the range tomorrow and will take my timer. Hopefully, I can get a theoretical rate of fire for comparison. The 22lr bolt sounds like a phalanx off a navy ship (only not as loud, lol).

Chris

Well went back to the range yesterday and all I can say is....

You know you're having some good fun if THE COPS SHOW UP. I wish I would have gotten video of the incident.

We were at a private shooting club on the line with about 4 other shooters on the 100 meter range. I had gone through a few mags trying to get some controlled bursts on paper down range. I hear one of the other shooters say, "They must be here FOR HIM." Wondering what he was referring too, I turn around only to see one of our county's finest walking over to the line. He goes on to say that they had a call reporting automatic gunfire. The caller stated that he had been in the Army and knows what FA fire sounds like! Trying to be as respectful as I could be (:moon:), I explained to the LEO what was going on. I offered to let him shoot the rifle in question, but he declined. I asked if he wanted me to give a demonstration and I proceeded to dump a mag while he watched in AMAZEMENT. He said, "pretty cool". He said he would tell the caller that everything checked out OK. I also added that he should advise the caller that select fire weapons ARE NOT ILLEGAL, if one is properly licensed through the BBG and pays their $200 tax stamp.

At any rate, He left without incident or issues. Though the Slidefire isn't the most practical thing, it is a blast to shoot. My timer gave my setup a theoretical 845 RPM. (about 14 a second).

With as many gun nuts on here, I'm supprised there isn't more interest in this contraption. Hmmm, I hope the board hasn't gone all politically correct in my absence. :lol:

Chris

i took alex out yesterday to try the RPK

GEDC0417 (Small).JPG

Back