EVERYONE.. Plz read, I need ur help.. new busa guy

Deno_n_Philly

Registered
I have an 08 blue/gold.. i just bought a danmoto carbon fiber slip on exhaust.. it looks great, sounds mean.. alot better then the stock, here is the problem.. MAN IT IS HOT ON MY BOOTS.....

I looked at the heat shield 2"x25' blue wrap with clamps?
or
I found Universal Targa Exhaust Heat Shield - Blue - 18-500BL?

Everyone please give me ur advice, I need to know which one will work the best and look the best, buying a new whole exhaust is out of the question. Hard enough to talk my wife into letting me get one with her 15 weeks pregnant...

Help.. thanks

Deno:please:

which parts gets hot? the cans or the midpipes? if the midpipes, how about wrapping them? Colored exhaust insulating heat wrap for motorcycles

col_exh_wrap_pic.jpg

Strange problem, do you have any photos? Not common for the mid pipes to get so hot you can feel them?

i had my mid-pipes ceramic coated and you can definitely tell the difference...mine is the one on the right with the HMF dual high-mounts

IMG_6378 (Large).jpg

You didn't mention if you got the bike properly mapped on a dyno. If you just bolted an exhaust system on, with no other changes, you may also be running very lean, which would just contribute to your problem.:rulez:

Make sure you put heat shielding inside your fairing where it's closest to the pipe, or you could wind up with scorch marks on your plastic.

You didn't mention if you got the bike properly mapped on a dyno. If you just bolted an exhaust system on, with no other changes, you may also be running very lean, which would just contribute to your problem.:rulez:

With slip-ons?

With slip-ons?

Yes, not unheard of. It obviously depends on how free-flowing his slip ons are. Usually, with any slip ons, we see the bike very lean down low, and just okay on top. The stock ECU fuel map is setup for the stock canisters, which are very likely much more restrictive than his slip ons . . . even bikes with just slip ons benefit from a full dyno map.:laugh:

I did not have it dyno.. Would I take that to my local Bike shop to do? The guy who put them on, has a busa, tubro, swing arm the whole 9 and he did it himself.. I was there.. so I really don't know what to do at this point. The pipes look great, they are just really hot... I need to put something on my fairing as well? This is starting to suck.. How would I get it ceramic coated? Thanks guys.. keep it coming..

i agree with an above statement. i would have it dyno'd just in case. it wont hurt and could help drastically. you will have to look for a shop in your area that has a dyno. you might even start another thread that says something like looking for local dyno and your location. good luck

Yes, not unheard of. It obviously depends on how free-flowing his slip ons are. Usually, with any slip ons, we see the bike very lean down low, and just okay on top. The stock ECU fuel map is setup for the stock canisters, which are very likely much more restrictive than his slip ons . . . even bikes with just slip ons benefit from a full dyno map.:laugh:

Frank, Sorry to but in but I also am running Yosh R77 slip-ons and wondering if I could improve the performance of the stock motor by way of Dyno. Do they have to change anything out on the ECU or just tweek air fuel ratio.

Again, sorry to steal the thread

Frank, Sorry to but in but I also am running Yosh R77 slip-ons and wondering if I could improve the performance of the stock motor by way of Dyno. Do they have to change anything out on the ECU or just tweek air fuel ratio.

Again, sorry to steal the thread

Yes, I do believe that you can. A lot of people erroneously think they can just bolt on canisters with no effect on air/fuel. I have dynoed many bikes in over ten years . . . what some people don't realize is that these bikes are leaned on hard - air/fuel wise - in order to pass the EPA requirements in this country. Clean air systems (like the PAIR valve) were introduced to help battle this problem as far back as 1979. The advent of fuel injection helped the OEMs make their bikes comply. Anyone who has actually put a bike on a dyno and put an air/fuel probe into the pipe knows exactly what I am talking about. They are lean to start with - right from the factory. Then you go and install slip ons. They then become borderline worse - they usually run okay, and most customers are too dumb to think anything is wrong. Sometimes decel popping occurs, and a light goes on.

Yes, you can get some improvements by tweaking the air/fuel, either with a powercommander, ECU editor, or whatever else your local shop might be pushing . . . either way, it is worth it, just the improved throttle response alone makes it worthwhile - and knowing your air/fuel is right.:laugh:

I called a ceramic coating place today and he said that coating it costs $16 per linear foot and it is the best way to fix the problem. He says it last longer and is better then the heat wrap, does anyone have any thoughts????

ceramic coating works very well at keeping the pipes cooler and my bike ran much better after having it dyno'ed...doing both of them should definitely fix your issue :beerchug:

I did not have it dyno.. Would I take that to my local Bike shop to do? The guy who put them on, has a busa, tubro, swing arm the whole 9 and he did it himself.. I was there.. so I really don't know what to do at this point. The pipes look great, they are just really hot... I need to put something on my fairing as well? This is starting to suck.. How would I get it ceramic coated? Thanks guys.. keep it coming..
If you're going to go through the effort and expense of a dyno tune and power commander why not just pick up a full exhaust (cheap used or on sale new) and get the extra 10-12hp that comes with it? Believe me you WILL feel the difference...and it is WELL worth it in hp gained and weight lost :thumbsup: :beerchug: :laugh:
You'll gain nothing with your slip-ons, but be out for a dyno tune and power commander. Sell the slips to offset some of the cost to upgrade to a full system :thumbsup:

Back