Ever wonder how Amtrak stays open?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I have a good friend that I need to get down to RDU to visit for a day, I figure well lets have a look at Amtrak. I could work a little and see some sights, lord knows I am in enough planes during the year. So I looked and compared.

I know that travel time by train is going to be longer but was shocked at the similarity in price. Compared with overall travel time, ugh, why on earth would you ever take a train for a trip more than an hour...*maybe* two hours :banghead:

There was a time when I was at NC State I could catch a train back to Richmond for something like $30 each way... cheaper than gas even back then.

First one is Amtrak, the other is American's price for the one way (and no, thats just straight pricing, no discounts). I should point out I've been looking at the afternoon departure on Amtrak that gets in around the same time as the flight.

amtrak.jpg

american.jpg

Last edited:
Amtrak is a slow, horribly overpriced system. The Acela is a nice idea, but poorly executed. It only serves the northeast corridor, and isn't able to use its full speed potential due to inadequate track conditions. A nationwide high speed rail network would be one thing, but as it is now, Amtrak can't even pay their own bills.

Don't forget that airline also pays there employees peanuts to help keep cost down. After finding out how mush some of these airlines pay their pilots, I am not flying anywhere. If thats one of the examples how they squeeze their company in the air to get revs up I don't want to imagine whats going on in the hangers :laugh:

If I can't drive or ride their I am not going :whistle:

Don't forget that that airline ticket comes with some free groping. That is probably a $50 value :)

Where do i sign up for a flight? :whistle:

Perhaps its the lack of groping and the ease of transporting weapons and drugs on trains?

What is train security like anyway? Is it Greyhound bus style?

Living in Philly, trains (and the subway, and, of course, buses) are a way of life. They get you around the city, get you to nearby communities, and take you to other Northeast cities. I once took an Acela Express, Business Class, and never had a better trip anywhere, anytime. If they'd bring good, high-speed trains back to service the same market as short-distance fliers, I'd bet nobody would fly.

Living in Philly, trains (and the subway, and, of course, buses) are a way of life. They get you around the city, get you to nearby communities, and take you to other Northeast cities. I once took an Acela Express, Business Class, and never had a better trip anywhere, anytime. If they'd bring good, high-speed trains back to service the same market as short-distance fliers, I'd bet nobody would fly.

I agree, if there was a viable Acela like service, even to some more out of the way places. When I was in Europe the only time I got on a plane was to cross water (Germany to the UK) otherwise I was on a train for everything. It was SOOO much easier. I'd definitely travel by train for 3hr or less trips if it was viable.

Amtrak is ONLY alive because the govt is pumping millions into it.
Like our Mail system...

Privatize both IMO, both will become better, more cost effective, and efficient.

Remember politicians do not care about revenue or making money...they care about
votes. That's why the govt' running ANYTHING....BLOWS CHUNKS.
Soooo...if you have an Amtrak route or a post office that is not making
squat...your not closing that in "MY" district, I've got to go home an answer to
the voters. So we leave open routes that don't make money and over charge for
others and leave open post offices that are not needed and raise prices.

I love flying and have only ridden a train here in the USA a couple times.
But I've ridden alot of trains overseas. I think Amtrak may stay in biz because people like to see things from ground level ? Not every route would be pretty but I think many are.
That's what I like about trains is being able to see the countryside.

Back