Ever have your fridge go out?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
On a Saturday when your kids and grandkids are visiting? Of course it was full due to Covid problems and shopping only every few weeks so everything inside was lost!:confused: The huge 31cf French door LG fridge costs nearly $4,000 but luckily the linear compressor has a ten year warranty so all (all) I’ll have to pay is $685 for labor but, the part won’t be in until maybe this Thursday or next Tuesday! FAK! So I’m off to buy a cooler and some ice to keep things cool until then...:mad:

I had a fridge go out in the middle of summer while my son and his family as well as my brother and sister in law were visiting..

No warranty just a new fridge-quick like....

On a Saturday when your kids and grandkids are visiting? Of course it was full due to Covid problems and shopping only every few weeks so everything inside was lost!:confused: The huge 31cf French door LG fridge costs nearly $4,000 but luckily the linear compressor has a ten year warranty so all (all) I’ll have to pay is $685 for labor but, the part won’t be in until maybe this Thursday or next Tuesday! FAK! So I’m off to buy a cooler and some ice to keep things cool until then...:mad:
Hit friends,family,next door folks see if they have any room for some stuff temporarly.Also get everyone to start making ice. Use the busted fridge as a giant ice box for now.It will seal better than a camping cooler.
Thats all I got. Sorry,Rubb.

My fridge has never gone out, it prefers to stay in the house :rolleyes:
Can you claim contents insurance on the food you lost?
depending on your insurance carrier I would not doubt it.Who knows,all you could do is call. It'll be a deductible cost vs food cost equation unfortunately.I know Wuzza wouldn't do this but a person of less integrity might buy a new fridge,only to return it when the other gets repaired.Could also buy a big bar fridge and move it out to his shop when repairs are complete.
Rubb.

I had a new one with the bottom freezer go out after 4 years. I notice on the newer ones that have the condenser in the bottom have to be cleaned often. I pull mine out and remove the cover and vacuum out good. Make sure you unplug the power. My new one is almost 7 years old with no issues.

depending on your insurance carrier I would not doubt it.Who knows,all you could do is call. It'll be a deductible cost vs food cost equation unfortunately.I know Wuzza wouldn't do this but a person of less integrity might buy a new fridge,only to return it when the other gets repaired.Could also buy a big bar fridge and move it out to his shop when repairs are complete.
Rubb.
When we had the earthquakes (15,000 of them!) power was out for a month.
House contents insurance paid out for all the lost food.
May be different in the States and Canaduh, but it worked here in NZ!

Turns out mine was bought and installed by the prior (original owner) of my home in 2013 when he upgraded all the appliances and counter tops. The linear compressor has a ten year warranty for the part only. Wonder what the compressor would cost. It even has a tiny ‘smart diagnosis‘ speaker under the right door that I had to hold my phone up to so LG could give it a sqwak noise similar to a fax machine noise so it can tell LG what’s wrong.:laugh: New cooler with ice is on the counter. I didn’t have enough food to make an insurance claim and every neighbor already has a full fridge so I’m on my own. Waiting....

Unfortunately it has. Just stocked up our garage freezer with filets and such. Hurrican Charley comes and jacks power for 10-14 days. Couldnt even get ice. Lost an estimated 2k worth of beef. Wife refused to get another because of that. Still dont have one!
Troy

I was going to originally make a comment similar to this but thought "Nah, Wuzza is suffering enough"
HI. We have that happen 2 times. WOW $4,000.00 for one! When I got married back in 1971 we needed one, I had a friend who owned a junkyard our first fridge cost me $5.00. It lasted longer then the marriage did. I had it for about 7 yrs. We only lasted 1 and a 1/2 racing seasons.

Turns out mine was bought and installed by the prior (original owner) of my home in 2013 when he upgraded all the appliances and counter tops. The linear compressor has a ten year warranty for the part only. Wonder what the compressor would cost. It even has a tiny ‘smart diagnosis‘ speaker under the right door that I had to hold my phone up to so LG could give it a sqwak noise similar to a fax machine noise so it can tell LG what’s wrong.:laugh: New cooler with ice is on the counter. I didn’t have enough food to make an insurance claim and every neighbor already has a full fridge so I’m on my own. Waiting....
Wow I'm sorry to hear about this. I quite like that big LG. Nothing else on the market like it. Sorry to hear it lacks in the reliability it should have.

Wow I'm sorry to hear about this. I quite like that big LG. Nothing else on the market like it. Sorry to hear it lacks in the reliability it should have.

Thanks and yeah, one would think a fridge that expensive would last longer than seven years.

Back