Event Activities - Rides, meetings, group events etc all in here

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, with the bash looming closer and closer each day I thought it was time to get the list of events going. Capt has already said he is going to lead/arrange a newbie ride. This will no doubt be a great event and I encourage all new folks to join in but also anyone that wants a nice leisurely paced group ride.

There are MANY other loops and rides for folks to consider, some of them are full day events so planning them out makes the most sense.

Traditional rides:

US28/74/143 loop - 2hrs - most popular route of previous bash folks. Some technical sections, though can be enjoyed at the speed limit by anyone.

US28/74/129 loop - 3-4hrs - Another very popular ride, some nice scenery, less technical than other longer rides but can have more traffic

US28/Wayah Rd/129 loop - easily a 1/2 day - at times a fast paced road, many twists/turns, can be enjoyed by anyone however some parts are rather technical

The Dragon - This is a must do for any first timer and is the perennial favorite of bash attendees. This section of road will test your riding of turns, or at least your patience :laugh: Some great tips on various site like killboy.com or tailofthedragon.com The overlook is 3/4 of the way through and most folks turn around there and head back to the CROT. FYI, you have not finished the dragon til you get to the lake but be warned now, the police patrol and issue tickets for the smallest of issues on bad days. Watch your speed and do not cross that double yellow. :thumbsup: If you arrive early, do this before the weekend. If you come friday-sunday, do this ride either early in the day or late in they day.

The Skyway - This is a must do for any first timer and is the perennial favorite of bash attendees. Some sections are technical, increasing and decreasing radius turns as well as the most vertically changing route in the area. As with any ride, this one requires you to ride your own ride and at your own pace. This ride has many return options, you should plan 4hrs for this ride at a minimum.

Return from the Skyway
US360/441/72/129 - This route is the fastest way back and takes you across the dragon. From telico plains (the gas station in TN after you cross the Skyway) this route adds 2ish hours at a standard pace. If you choose this route, consider the time of your return as crossing the dragon at night can be a bit more challenging ;)

US360/129 - This route is popular as it takes you through the Pumpkin Center area. There is another store over there with some cool shirts, etc and is also a nice ride. Only adds about 30mins to the ride.

US360/441/321/Foothills Pkwy/129 - This is by far one of the favorites of many of the bash regulars. A morning departure from the Phillips up over the Skyway will allow you to grab a bite to eat in Maryville before completing the day. The Foothills Pkwy is another not to be missed ride for new folks. If you rode straight through you'll probably stop for gas 2x and you can plan to be gone 6hrs. Depending on pace/stops/etc this can be a full day for sure.

Foothills Pkwy - This road is across the dragon around the lake. You can get to it in 10-15mins after reaching the overlook on the dragon and can plan for 1-2hrs to go over and back with stopping along the way for the view.

Blood Mountain - This is a full day and I mean full day. Leave at the crack of early and come home around dinner time. This is a fairly technical ride so if high speed corners with some technical sections isnt exactly your thing, you'll probably want to enjoy some of the others above.

US28/74/19/441/Little River/FootHills Pkwy/129 - This is a full day, 6-7hrs kinda full day. You will see some interesting scenery, cross through Cherokee Reservation (Maggie Valley isn't far if you want to go), up over the Smoky Mnts National Park and of course back across Foothills and the Dragon.
- As an alternate return, you can continue down 441 to 321 through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Depending on stops, traffic, etc this can add 2hrs to the ride.

If there area any others I'm missing please post up. If anyone wants to volunteer to lead a ride, post up here and lets get some schedules posted.

**Remember organized rides or routes are ride at your own risk and at your own pace/skill level. **
All group rides should assign a sweeper to help with any issues and ensure no one is lost along the way. If anyone is interested I can run some copies of the routes and leave them in the Busa hospital or someone else central to the event.

We'll keep this post updated with a schedule of events. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I like em all! Ill play it by ear and see who posts up for leading rides and see what looks fun.

PS-Ill be takin the 240 off for the trip, seems silly to leave it on

I like em all! Ill play it by ear and see who posts up for leading rides and see what looks fun.

PS-Ill be takin the 240 off for the trip, seems silly to leave it on

No doubt, unless its a full day ride, most folks will just bounce around different routes all day long.

So you are going back to stock length too? ??? makes fitting it in the trailer easier :laugh:

Helenback: I don't know the route by number, but the ride from Robbinsville to Helen, GA is about a 3/4 day ride. Helen is an old German town, with german architecture, german food, very nice. The ride downhill into Helen is about as much fun as the dragon except it's VERTICAL and the road are a little wider with some 3-4 lane sections (PASSING).

No doubt, unless its a full day ride, most folks will just bounce around different routes all day long.

So you are going back to stock length too? ??? makes fitting it in the trailer easier :laugh:

Yeah, Dont wanna bring a knife to gun fight:rulez:

zuk....great informative post! Plenty of awesome routes to choose from :agree:

I know at the Fall Bash a ride to a dinner location one night is usually held correct? Will we be doing anything like that this time?

Last edited:
...The Dragon - This is a must do for any first timer and is the perennial favorite of bash attendees. This section of road will test your riding of turns, or at least your patience :laugh: Some great tips on various site like killboy.com or tailofthedragon.com

Glad we can be counted on for tips and advice so you have the best time possible when you're visiting here...I feel we've always gone out of our way to do y'all right.

Glad we can be counted on for tips and advice so you have the best time possible when you're visiting here...I feel we've always gone out of our way to do y'all right.

Will be nice to get some sweet action pics from you this Spring :cheerleader:

How about we finish the ride to Hooters this year!

Return from the Skyway
US360/441/72/129 - This route is the fastest way back and takes you across the dragon. From telico plains (the gas station in TN after you cross the Skyway) this route adds 2ish hours at a standard pace. If you choose this route, consider the time of your return as crossing the dragon at night can be a bit more challenging

i know i will be doing this ride but backwards dragon to the skyway
it will be me and 3 others on saturday dont know what time frame right now
but if anybody wants to tag along just hit me up

Wow! Many options.... I know I cant do them all! Damn..... but riding the dragon 16 times my first year (08) there and 22 times last year (09). But I am bring my G/F who is a new rider so things this year will be more about riding around the area like I did the first year!

Anyone have these routes for a zumo they would like to share?? Since I've never been there and will be trying to build my own routes it would be nice to load up some that you already have and rode.

Last edited:
Here is a high level view of the madmap for the bash area. As you can see, there are plenty of rides listed (see colored lines). Some of these are listed above and some are not listed above. If anyone is interested I'm sure we can arrange some additional detail :thumbsup:

somebashrides.jpg

Here is a high level view of the madmap for the bash area. As you can see, there are plenty of rides listed (see colored lines). Some of these are listed above and some are not listed above. If anyone is interested I'm sure we can arrange some additional detail :thumbsup:

I recognize that map! It is a map to Heaven! :angel:

:wow:

thanks for the heads up i need to get me some of these
i want to do some local rides and some out of town rides this year
i know of some but need some more is always nice

Back