Evans NPG+ Coolant

jay21112

Registered
Ok changed the oil, clutch fluid and coolant this weekend.

I put Evans NPG+ waterless coolant in. It says it will last the life of the bike (figured I'll change it in 5 years just in case though).

Ok this is the deal, I emptied all the old coolant. (I mean all of it, I even took the radiator off the bike.)

Then I filled the system and overflow up with the NPG+. In doing so I squeezed all the lines to burp the system, then I started it and ran it for like 15 minutes.

Then i emptied everything again by pulling both the lower and upper radiator hoses (and the overlow tank), and I filled the bike up with NPG+ again. I made sure to squeeze the lines to burp the system.

Then I started it up and idled it for 15 minutes, let it cool down, and burped and topped her off. I did this procedure once more, then I drove her to get her well above operating temp (and made sure to swing her from side to side like the manual says). I came home, let her cool, sqeezed the lines and topped her off. (So 3 times total to operating temp with burping and topping off).

Now I took her out for a spin today and it was 40 degrees out. Within minutes the temp gauge shot up to just under halfway and stood there the whole time.

In the instructions for NPG+ it says it runs hotter than normal coolant, and that this is fine because NPG will not boil over or evaporate.

I found this interesting. I'm curious to see what happens on a 90 or 100 degree day. I wonder if it will stay at the halfway mark or it will go higher.

Anyone else have any experience with this stuff?

Evans_NPG__Coolant.jpg

interesting, this stuff is good stuff and works well, It was tried in a 5th gen VFR and didn't work well as the waterpump in the VFR is not strong enough to pump the fluid through as the coolant is "thick". hard way to find out as a guinee pig but oh well.

so you would say that the fluid is flowing fine and the busa's water pump has no problem moving this stuff around it's coolant system? if so cool!

and yes that does seem odd as evans does seem to run "hotter" as it transfers the heat away from the metal better than a traditional antifreeze.

(Mr. Anderson @ Nov. 05 2006,20:36) interesting, this stuff is good stuff and works well, It was tried in a 5th gen VFR and didn't work well as the waterpump in the VFR is not strong enough to pump the fluid through as the coolant is "thick". hard way to find out as a guinee pig but oh well.

so you would say that the fluid is flowing fine and the busa's water pump has no problem moving this stuff around it's coolant system? if so cool!

and yes that does seem odd as evans does seem to run "hotter" as it transfers the heat away from the metal better than a traditional antifreeze.
How could I tell if it is flowing through the system effectively? ...Because I just put it in (burped it) and rode with it.

Like I said, the temp shot up to halfway within a few minutes and then stayed there. So I guess it just runs hotter. I just hope it doesnt shoot sky high and stay there when it's 90 out....

hmm. not sure, I would say that you could take a IR temp reader and shoot the input and the exit of the radiator flow and check the temperature change. with the VFR it was obvious as the radiators are mounted parallel with the frame and have a radiator cap on it to monitor if it is flowing. there was little/no flow in them and the engine temps rose quickly.

(StreetnTrack @ Nov. 06 2006,19:10) been using it for years and never had a problem with it.
Great.

So is what I experienced normal?

Does the temp rise quickly at first and then float around halfway?

Back