Essential Songs for a Guitar beginner

Projekt

Registered
Fellow guitar heads,
I would like to get your opinion on what are the essential songs every aspiring guitarist needs to learn.
Please list them all as a matter of opinion. My guitar finally came in so I want to download the tabs to learn several songs.
The guitar is an acoustic electric Black Takamine EG-561 C.

Hmmmm

The first rock song I learned was Scorpion's "Rock You Like a Hurricane".

Then everything by Metallica.

Ozzy's "Crazy Train" comes to mind.

If you have any music stores where you are, just go hang out on a Saturday afternoon for a few hours. You'll hear person after person butchering various "must know" songs as they try out new gear.

I'm reminded of Wayne's World (I think?) where they go into the music store that has the sign in the guitar section that says "No Stairway to Heaven Allowed".

Bach's "Bouree in E Minor" comes to mind once you advance.

i do not play but here is my 2cents
led stairway to heaven
lynard skynard freebird
my fav bob marley song is the wind cries mary
blind melons no rain
perfect circle 3 libras
alice in chains nutshell
soundgarden blackholesun
any nirvana
pink floyd , really any song but u have 2 know 'wish u were here'
i really like sublime, tool, mudvayne, nin, and slipknot and if i were listening 2 someone play i would recognize any song by these artists .

It doesn't matter what you play as a beginner. What does matter is that you play.

Play every day that you are able, and remember to have fun with it. Even if you are pressed for time, or just don't feel like picking up the guitar, at least do some flexibility exercises, or scales.

The web is loaded with free tabs, and you are sure to find stuff that appeals to you.

Good luck and have fun!

come on tea. Wind Cries Mary is the Great Jimi Hendrix not Bob Marley
Posted via Mobile Device

Good tip. Once you get that 1 4 5 down in the key of G you'll be able to play every Country & Western song ever written. :laugh:

Remove 4 bars fronm the 12 bar blues I IV V and it's 3/4 of all rock and roll. Just play the I and V and it's 90% of folk, flip it around and play II V I and it's half of jazz.

Learn the 7ths and minors, learn to bar E and you have ALOT of ground covered.

cheers
ken

Learn the chords first, get used to switching from chord to chord. Playing them isn't the problem, it's switching fast enough to make the song sound right. You can work on tab learning as you learn chords cause they're 2 different things, but you won't be able to play songs till you know both. Nothing Else Matters by metallica is one of my favorate songs to play. I just like the picking on it. It's a lot easier to finger pick that particular song. . . Till you get to the solo, of course.

I had to laugh. I know nothing about playing but when I saw the thread I immediately thought of the Wayne's World sign about Stairway to Heaven. Freebird is an awesome song as well.

Learn the "open" chords first. If you know E, A, and D chords you can play hundreds of songs.:beerchug:

Learn the "open" chords first. If you know E, A, and D chords you can play hundreds of songs.:beerchug:

True, but if you get an idea of what barring E is all about while you are learning E, and the "smoke on the water power chords" contained there in, you've got a leg up on the folks who only learn open chords and then never try barr chords 'cause they are "so hard."

cheers
ken

Define what you want to do,(what type of music do you like). Learn the Major, Minor, and 7th chords, be able to play them "each" in (3) different positions on the neck. Be "aware" of the "root" note for each of these.

This is really much easier than it sounds, and it will teach you how to navigate the neck "real estate".

There is free online tablature for almost ANY guitar song, Tablature or "tabs" is a very anchient, and "friendly" way to write/read "music"

A "instructor" in the begining will help you form good habits, my last instructor,(helping me with my lead guitar),finally gave up trying to break some of my 30+ years of "bad guitar habits"::laugh:

Last edited:
Uh, + Clapton, B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughn

:whistle:

I LOVE guitar music. I want to buy one SOOO bad.

Guess I'll keep dreaming ..................

Get one bro.. I bought my acoustic electric through Musician's Friend for $399. There are plenty of packages on the market that will get you a combo for less than that.

Back