Erratic AFR

markwt

Registered
I have a gen 1 busa with a water meth injection system running 17 psi boost. I was riding in boost and afr gauge started flashing and then afr started bouncing all over the place and bike started running really erratic. When I parked bike I noticed that I had some oil coming out the air filter when on kickstand leaning. I need to rebuild the turbo obviously but is it possible to boost the oil coming into the air side of the turbo up the intake and foul up the injectors or O2 sensor or map sensor which would cause the erratic readings? I thought maybe a vac hose came off somewhere but everything looks good.

when the motor misfires (that running erratic i bet ) you get unburnt oxygen that then shows as lean spikes

compressor side of the turbo will not leak when under pressure in most cases, but quite possible earlier leaked oil blows up into the plenum and cyls,

i would change plugs and gap to .018 , and see how it goes if it still misfires , check your water volume , you could be flooding it

I'm with oz on this one. If it was running fine before and now having issues start with the easy stuff. Spark plugs are key.

I need to rebuild the turbo obviously but is it possible to boost the oil coming into the air side of the turbo up the intake and foul up the injectors or O2 sensor or map sensor which would cause the erratic readings? I thought maybe a vac hose came off somewhere but everything looks good.

Yes it is possible to have oil seeping through. I bet your plenum has a good coat of oil inside it as well. I've gone through a few turbo's on my Saab's, when they start to go south, you'll see oil inside your intake.

Best of luck!

Back