Epoxy or Super Glue?

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
My car wash guy just managed to break the tailgate handle on my AVALANCHE. It's a plastic handle, so I was thinking about repairing it with some sort of glue or epoxy, since I really don't want to open up my tailgate to repair this thing, even if he does pay for the part.

Anyonw know what i could use for a hard plastic? I have a new Loctie Epoxy Gel, but I'm not sure if there are better options. It says it works on "most" plastics. With my luck, I would be the one that didn't fall under "most."

Epoxy probably is the better choice for your handle. super glue is a quick stick but doesn't fill in gaps. Is it the handle or the bezel? If the handle probably neither one will hold.

It's the handle...broke at the base on one side and about half way through on the other. The only potential saving grace is that most pressure is exerted in an upward manner, so I won't be trying to shear the pieces when I open the gate.

What is Fusor? Can I buy it or is it one of those body shop only things.

It's the handle...broke at the base on one side and about half way through on the other. The only potential saving grace is that most pressure is exerted in an upward manner, so I won't be trying to shear the pieces when I open the gate.

What is Fusor? Can I buy it or is it one of those body shop only things.

It requires a gun that costs a couple hundred $, I have one and maybe even some fusor for plastic. Coming to the bash next weekend? Bring the handle and I can bring some fusor.

You can also buy it ebay out of date, which doesnt affect the product I am told.

Check with a body shop and give them $10 to fusor it, it wont let go in the spot you repair.

No bash for me, but thanks for the offer!

I'll check out a body shop like you said, thanks!

Two suggestions check the avalanche fan club site for the part from users there lmk if you need help I'm a mod there

Second dental epoxy is the best for abs plastics it actually bonds the plastic back to its original strength :cool:
Posted via Mobile Device

Just replace the handle and save your future headaches .
It's a handle you use regularly and I don't believe anything will fix it and make it strong enough to use ?
Remember you use it to open tailgate but also most likely still have hand on it while opening it ?
This is where the stresses are involved.
A new handle is only gonna be twenty to thirty bucks and you can get it installed for an hour labor?

It's a handle you use regularly and I don't believe anything will fix it and make it strong enough to use ?
Remember you use it to open tailgate but also most likely still have hand on it while opening it ?
A new handle is only gonna be twenty to thirty bucks and you can get it installed for an hour labor?

and your car wash guy should buy the part and pay for the labor :rulez:

why pay 10-20 bucks to repair a 30-50 dollar item that will most likely break in the near future. I say replace it.

Replace it...what if someone goes to open it and the weld breaks and a jagged end does a vegga matic on the hand? Will never be able to glue it back to specs...

this stuff will hold it for a while, but i would bet it will break again, you put quite a bit of torque on the handle when you pull it. i would replace it.

51v4N6g9C1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amen, especially if he is paying for it......

Back