Entry level turbo kit- reliable? Streetability? MPG?

NuclearMJ

Registered
Just wondering those of you that have an entry level turbo kit (stock internals)on your busa how they are on the street? What kind of MPG your getting? Any problems you've had? I've only had my busa for about 6 months now and i love it but im already starting to crave more power but commute on it and don't want to sacrifice reliability or end up getting 10mpg.

I've always been a fan of stage 1 stock motor turbo kits. The spool is great, and they are a ton of fun to ride. Best part about it is if you go with an Rcc if you want more down the road, all kits are upgradeable. So you'll never be stuck selling a kit to upgrade to a new one.

In regards to reliability it depends on the quality of the kit, and the attention paid to detail on instal.

As far as mpg, it's all on the tune. Currently on my 428whp Busa, I get about 35mph....if I don't get in to it, but what's the fun in that.

I saw this just as I was about to post a sale on Rcc turbo kits to save ya some money if you would like.

My turbo system has been good to me so far. My bike makes 240hp. I have a base spacer to lower compression and a big cc mechanical scavenge pump. The only problem I have ran into was vapor lock, which has nothing to do with the turbo, but from what I hear it's an easy fix. Hey murder does a ball bearing turbo get better mpg than a journal bearing?

My turbo system has been good to me so far. My bike makes 240hp. I have a base spacer to lower compression and a big cc mechanical scavenge pump. The only problem I have ran into was vapor lock, which has nothing to do with the turbo, but from what I hear it's an easy fix. Hey murder does a ball bearing turbo get better mpg than a journal bearing?

Ball bearing over journal bearing has nothing to do with economy. Ball bearings in turbos are only to allow it to spool faster.

mpg? lol.... as long as u don't roll into it every time u shift it will get about the same as stock and be just as reliable. but like murderered out stated wat fun is that? and yea the tune is everything!

my fuel gauge looks like my tach at times but goes the opposite direction....:whistle:

Thats what im concerned about, i can barely keep my hand out of it as is, im guessing id be on the rear tire all day burning through a tank of gas on my 50 mile round trip to work. You guys still able to rip through the corners? Im thinking boost mid corner would light the tire up.

If your truly concerned about fuel mileage over just enjoying the bike, turbo isn't for you. With a turbo your pushing volumetric efficiency well over 100% and that requires fuel. It's just part of making power. Perhaps you would be better off with a big bore kit, or nitrous. Both options cost considerably less then turbos, but won't get you close to the power of a turbo.

It's very predictable when the power comes on with a turbo. Just use some caution until you get use to the bike.

A stock busa seems like its going backwards when you throw a turbo on.
Also just my opinion.... if your going to turbo save yourself the trouble and pull the motor and build it. 4-7lbs of boost gets to be normal after a day or two. :)
15lbs and higher is where I shat my pants becomes normal.

If you're concerned with MPG, why do you even have a Hayabusa? :laugh:

If you run into me on the street, I don't care what you have, I am going to shut you down. Having an Ultra Street bike means never having to say you are sorry. Bring that twin turbo Viper or that turbo Corvette, or that high end big money enzo Ferrari, I really don't care. You are going to look stupid like everyone else that has ever lined up against me. And the nicest part is that Sunday, I will be riding that very same bike to church to ask for forgiveness . . .:rofl:

Sorry - I forgot We are talking about entry level turbo kits here. Like Rob said - and I agree - I really like Stage Ones because I can twist the throttle as hard as I want, the bike will still beat 99% of the junk that is out there, and will still idle like a stocker and get decent gas mileage. It's like having a concealed carry permit . . .:laugh:

A stock busa seems like its going backwards when you throw a turbo on.
Also just my opinion.... if your going to turbo save yourself the trouble and pull the motor and build it. 4-7lbs of boost gets to be normal after a day or two. :)
15lbs and higher is where I shat my pants becomes normal.

What he said.

If you run into me on the street, I don't care what you have, I am going to shut you down. Having an Ultra Street bike means never having to say you are sorry. Bring that twin turbo Viper or that turbo Corvette, or that high end big money enzo Ferrari, I really don't care. You are going to look stupid like everyone else that has ever lined up against me. And the nicest part is that Sunday, I will be riding that very same bike to church to ask for forgiveness . . .:rofl:

Sorry - I forgot We are talking about entry level turbo kits here. Like Rob said - and I agree - I really like Stage Ones because I can twist the throttle as hard as I want, the bike will still beat 99% of the junk that is out there, and will still idle like a stocker and get decent gas mileage. It's like having a concealed carry permit . . .:laugh:

I just shot water out my nose reading this. Good stuff!

If you're concerned with MPG, why do you even have a Hayabusa? :laugh:

I have a busa because sport touring bikes suck! I still get around 35mpg riding the **** out of it back and forth to work on the back roads; i also went up to an 18t front sprocket for better freeway economy. Im not terribly interested in building the motor, lots more money that i could not afford to put into this. Ive thought about nitrous as its fairly cheap but feel like i'd blow it up or wear out the rings, the bike has 25k on it and i want more power but don't want to destroy my only bike either.

I also wish someone lived in my area and was willing to let me take there turbo busa for a spin. As if that would ever happen:rofl:

I have a busa because sport touring bikes suck! I still get around 35mpg riding the **** out of it back and forth to work on the back roads; i also went up to an 18t front sprocket for better freeway economy. Im not terribly interested in building the motor, lots more money that i could not afford to put into this. Ive thought about nitrous as its fairly cheap but feel like i'd blow it up or wear out the rings, the bike has 25k on it and i want more power but don't want to destroy my only bike either.

You pretty much just said hayabusas suck. Hayabusas are classified as sport touring. That's why insurance is cheaper on a hayabusa, then a gsxr600 of the same year.

Just like anything else, when using nitrous engine longevity is based of off the tune, and how big of a shot. With nitrous the fun only lasts as long as the bottle. With a 2.5 pound bottle it don't last long.

I have yet to see anyone calling a hayabusa a sport touring, it almost fits the hypertouring class, but as far as ive seen everywhere its still in the supersport or sport class, even though its the perfect sport tour bike. Anyone have tips for a first time turbo build? Im thinking of trying to piece together a stage 1 kit to save some dough.

Back