Engine torn down...damage assessed...have questions

WisdomRacing

Registered
Hey guys. I've got a Busa powered (99-07) off-road race buggy.

The P.O. had run it without oil and decided not to tell me - first time out the engine seized.

Motor is now in pieces. The damage is a scorned crank, two rods and the channels on the case for the main bearings.

New (used) rods are on the way - still looking for a crank and case.

My question is, would the damage from a spun main bearing be economically repaired by a machine shop or would it make more sense to replace with a used case?

Another question; I've heard the 08-09 crank will work in the 99-07 engine and will yield some more displacement. True? If so would it be worth it (ie no additional cost other than pricier crank) to do this mod while it's apart?

I'm planning on my rebuild including the lower end along with a valve job. Anything else I should get into? I don't want too much power...the chain is sketchy enough as it is pushing this thing.

Some pics of the buggy:

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Thanks for any help :please:

If the bearing spun in the case, it can be repaired!
I would be maybe faster to find another low end, but may prove to be more sensible to rebuild since you all ready have it apart!
As for the crank, it can be repaired also!

Get hold of APE (Board sponsor and arguably the best in the crank biz) and see what your options are. If it were me (and it was 18 months ago, spun bearing) and I had the money (I didn't, so went back stock. Found a used one cheap, same cases new bearings) I would definitely go with the 08+ crank. My plan was 1397 bore and 08 crank, 1441 is a good running motor. Minister of Finance denied that fiscal plan, so I went with plan b.:lol:
Good luck whichever way ya go...

Thanks for the replies. And yeah this thing is a kick in the pants to drive.

GIXERHP - It's my understanding that to repair the crank I'd need use oversized bearings. Is this the case? If so, any idea where to get them?

For the case I would assume I'd need to have some metal welded in to make it work. True?

Any ideas how long these processes take (labor hours)? I'm predicting the crank will set me back $150 and the case a little more than that. I'm trying to figure out if the number of labor hours for machine work x $50/hour is < the cost of replacement.

Thanks for the replies. And yeah this thing is a kick in the pants to drive.

GIXERHP - It's my understanding that to repair the crank I'd need use oversized bearings. Is this the case? If so, any idea where to get them?

For the case I would assume I'd need to have some metal welded in to make it work. True?

Any ideas how long these processes take (labor hours)? I'm predicting the crank will set me back $150 and the case a little more than that. I'm trying to figure out if the number of labor hours for machine work x $50/hour is < the cost of replacement.
The crank can be repair to factory specs,, if you sent it to Either Ape, Falicon, or just about any good motorcycle machine shop. They could weld the crank up, as well as the cases. The cases then would get line bored to factory specs. As well as the crank would be returned to factory specs also!

Is there any damage to the cases, or not? Did the bearing spin, or did it stay in place?

Where are you located? So i can steer you towards a shop maybe near by that could help you out?

One plus to having a shop do both repairs, is that they can size the bearings for, Suzuki offers 4 different mains, and 4 different rod bearings!

A tear down will answer a ton of questions, everything else is just a guess.

I'm located in Orange County, Ca

And there is no guessing here. Maybe I worded it weird, but my engine is apart. I know the case needs to be repaired or replaced as does the crank. It did indeed spin a bearing.

I guess that makes sense that they could tig (maybe even mig?) weld the gouges in the crank. Not sure if that'd work on the case or not.

Any recommendations for a shop to do the machine work and valve job in my area would be much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

Here you go, they would be one of the best for you!

APE

They are a 125 miles from you!

I'm located in Orange County, Ca

And there is no guessing here. Maybe I worded it weird, but my engine is apart. I know the case needs to be repaired or replaced as does the crank. It did indeed spin a bearing.

I guess that makes sense that they could tig (maybe even mig?) weld the gouges in the crank. Not sure if that'd work on the case or not.

Any recommendations for a shop to do the machine work and valve job in my area would be much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

Gotcha...APE gets my vote as well.

Thanks for the recc. I'd seen them before but wasn't too pleased with their prices. I suppose if you've got a stroker crank it'd be worth it but to repair 2 rod journals it's $439. I'll just replace the crank with used.

Unless there are better options out there though, I'll probably use APE for a valve job...maybe the case as well depending on price.

Click here to send a PM to Jay, he owns APE and ask his advice. Straight up guy, and will treat you right. You won't regret it.....

I heard there would be a lot of benefit in sending my injectors somewhere to have them refreshed. True or not? I could probably sync them on my own, is there anything more that should be done to them?

If there's truth to the statement, where would a good place be?

I heard there would be a lot of benefit in sending my injectors somewhere to have them refreshed. True or not? I could probably sync them on my own, is there anything more that should be done to them?

If there's truth to the statement, where would a good place be?

Here is the link!

RC Fuel Injection

the biggest draw back from repairing your parts is the time.....

we all know that a "two week turn-around" can turn into 4-6 weeks real fast, especially as the racing is about to start and guys are trying to get thier bikes ready....

used parts like cranks,rods are readily available from local junk yards or Craigslist and you could be in the dunes this weekend.

just a thought...

Back