Engine Surge.

rubydog

Registered
Hi guys, need some help please.
Gen 1 1999, engine hesitation at low rpm under load, but only when the LEFT turn signal is applied, everything else is fine.

This sounds like a grounding problem. When grounds stop working, any weird symptom that no one has seen before can happen.

Locate the wiring diagram (some have posted high resolution versions around here) and trace everything on the left signal circuit, particularly the ground connections. Clean them, re-seat, replace bad wire.

Has there been damage on that side? That could more quickly lead you to a nicked cable that failed over time.

Maintenance items that come to mind which could be related:

*Cleaning out the switch, removing original dielectric grease, cleaning the contacts.

*Inspect the turn signal fixture connection for burnt wiring.

Desperation if that all fails: I have no idea if an aged bulb can draw too much power and cause a problem...?

This sounds like a grounding problem. When grounds stop working, any weird symptom that no one has seen before can happen.

Locate the wiring diagram (some have posted high resolution versions around here) and trace everything on the left signal circuit, particularly the ground connections. Clean them, re-seat, replace bad wire.

Has there been damage on that side? That could more quickly lead you to a nicked cable that failed over time.

Maintenance items that come to mind which could be related:

*Cleaning out the switch, removing original dielectric grease, cleaning the contacts.

*Inspect the turn signal fixture connection for burnt wiring.

Desperation if that all fails: I have no idea if an aged bulb can draw too much power and cause a problem...?
Thanks for your input buddy, I have found since, some water in a connection behind the dash and both battery leads had worked loose. Water was from a strip wash it had over the spring time just gone. I have yet to road test, RAIN and will post an update.

If
Water was from a strip wash it had over the spring time just gone. I have yet to road test, RAIN and will post an update.

If, bear in mind I'm a Kiwi and pretty basic by the term 'Strip wash', you mean power wash (water blaster) I've gotta say NEVER EVER do that to any motorcycle.... please.
Wash gently by hand, but even more importantly, every nook and cranney needs to be cleaned and I strip any used bike I get a hold of, and clean the chassis, replace all bearings, and CLEAN every thing to a high standard.
Then.. wax on, wax off. etc.

If

If, bear in mind I'm a Kiwi and pretty basic by the term 'Strip wash', you mean power wash (water blaster) I've gotta say NEVER EVER do that to any motorcycle.... please.
Wash gently by hand, but even more importantly, every nook and cranney needs to be cleaned and I strip any used bike I get a hold of, and clean the chassis, replace all bearings, and CLEAN every thing to a high standard.
Then.. wax on, wax off. etc.
No, not power wash, strip wash as in all plastics off and decreasing hand wash.

Update on surging problem with left indicator on.
I'll be removing side fairing and checking connectors and stuff, looked at the wiring diagram, are there any earth wires that bolt to the frame ?

Back