Engine surge when h-bars at left limits

gwhunran

Donating Member
Registered
My 06 Busa surges from 1100 rpm idle to 2200rpm idle when the handlebars are moved to the left stops. Any other handlebar position has no effect on engine speed.  I suspect something is binding in the cableing, but its not obvious just looking at it.

The bike has heli-bars.

<!--EDIT|gwhunran
Reason for Edit: "update to post"|1147567351 -->

The instructions for the Heli's tell you to reroute the cable....there a little snug so re-check the path and free up 1 or 2 mm somewhere and your good to go.

The heli-bars were installed by dealer before I took delivery of the bike so I don't know if the cables were rerouted or not. I don't have the heli-bar paperwork either. If it isn't simple I will just live with it until I take the plastic off to do oil change and install screens on the plastic. I should be able to follow the cables all the way from bars to motor to find that "slack." Its pretty easy to control with brake/clutch, just a little annoying.

If you leave it like that for long it will damage your cables and they will need to be replaced... my advise to you is to go to the helibar website, download the instructions (they have pictures as well) and make sure your cables are routed correctly. I wouldnt be messing around with something like this when it is affecting your throttle cables...

When I put Genmar Risers on my 'Busa I had to reroute the "choke" cable under the tank between the two points where the tank bolts attach. If I hadn't done that I would've had the same problem as you.

Also, I believe that some handlebar risers may require extended cables, but I haven't fitted the Helibars so can't say if they need it.

Check with the manufacturer for their recommendations, then go back to the dealer if they didn't do it right.

You can download the installation instructions from their website:

Helibar Install Instructions

Update:
I did as several of you suggested and went to heli-bar website. Sure enough they had downloadable pdf files on installation. I was kind of disappointed at first that they didn't have pictures with nice little arrows to go with the text, but I persevered and quickly came to the conclusion that the dealer failed to follow helibars instructions. The choke cable is supposed to be removed from the throttle cable bundle and rerouted to the left side, going between the two bolts holding the fuel tank on in the front. Guess what?
After I accomplished manufacturer instructions the surging problem went away!!!
Thanks guys for your wise advise, or I might have got myself in a bad position doing a slow sharp left on a slick surface and the engine surges leaving me on the deck with something else broken.

here is what it should look like..whoops..looks like ya got it right!

hogger...

<!--EDIT|hogger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147755655 -->

118_1805c.JPG

Back