Engine Sound help

HayaLee

Registered
Hello everyone...busa newb here. I'm planning on buying this bike and would appreciate some help. I'm not very familiar with suzuki motors, although I've been a motorcyclist for over 30 years in 3 countries.

This busa is an 06 with 38000 km. Does it sound ok to you? Seems a tad noisy to me but I'd heard that suzukis make more noise than other bikes motors...it's got a Striker full Ti system...and I have no history on this bike...

what do you think?

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
Busa's are kinda noisy and from the vid that one
sounds normal...the idle is a bit low. It should be
about 1100-1200 rpm...it's at 950-1000 according
to the tach. The Gen 2's are a little smoother...

awesome...thank you so much..

regards the idle I'd seen on another youtube vid that a guy was having issues with the idle speed and the TPS being out of sync...so can I just adjust the idle or is it more involved?

It's a simple adjustment...the Busa is pretty bullet proof. Earlier
models 1999-2002 had a few weak links, but all is good now. A
few people have had a problem with 2nd gear, but I think that
problem starts with bad riding habits and abuse...it can be solved
buy undercutting 2nd gear.

BA BUSA;3125921 A few people have had a problem with 2nd gear said:
Yeah...I just read that thread...:laugh:

thanks for your help...I'll be picking the bike up this weekend and putting to an end my years long curiosity about how it would be to ride the legend...I'm really very excited and you've made me feel much more confident about this choice of mine...

can't thank you enough...

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

yep idled low, not great for feeding oil up top. Bike sounds fine.

Agree with idle being low, I set mine at 1200 and it runs fine. No stalling it taking off, after a stop.

It sounded just a touch rough to me. Try a some seafoam in it - it might help smooth it out some.

Where are you? I assume not in the US if buying a bike rated in KPH's instead of MPH's :whistle:

And :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome and the tips...

I'm living in Thailand. Originally from Canada...and the bike is a grey import from Canada.

The busa is a good fit for Thailand as there is basically no speed limit here...I mean technically there is a speed limit but it's not enforced...

When I first got here I was riding a CBR900 at over 160kph as I passed a highway patrol car...I almost crapped myself and let off the throttle and kept checking my mirrors for the inevitable flashing lights...nothing...the guy I rented the bike from told me this...go as fast as you want no problem...you crash and hurt someone, then police come then you have big problem. :laugh:

When I first got here I was riding a CBR900 at over 160kph as I passed a highway patrol car...

100 mph isn't so fast :laugh: But it's nice that they don"t care and don't chase you. :thumbsup:

How did you end up in Thailand and do you like it there?

Grey import? ???

Importing a bike into Thailand is a nightmare...Thailand has all kinds of protectionist policies...the import duties are 200%, effectively doubling the price of the bike...and that's not including the registration fees...so to get around this most bikes are broken down and shipped in as parts...only 30% duty on parts...and then reassembled and sold with the import invoice...many of these bikes are not registered and have no plates...it's not really a problem as there is little enforcement of traffic laws here.

once you buy a non reg'd bike you can apply to the land transport office to have the bike reg'd and it costs a couple thousand $, but most people who understand the culture over here don't bother with the reg as it's very rare to have a cop confiscate your bike...usually at worst you'll pay a small bribe($10) and be on your way, but even that is rare.

Most often when you happen upon a traffic check point the cops are only interested in lining their pockets, so they make up some infraction and you pay your "fine" on the spot and carry on.

I've been riding here 10 years without a drivers licence and once rode from the North of the country to the South and back on a bike with no plates, no insurance and no drivers licence and never had a problem.

Yes I like it here...actually I love it here...life is slow and relaxed with little stress, the cost of living is minimal and the climate, once you become accustomed to it, is consistent...there are effectively 2 seasons here, aircon season and fan season...I like fan season more...

I teach English at a University about 6hrs a week and that provides me with a comfortable living wage. I spent 7 years in China before Thailand, Thailand is a thousand times better.

Back