Engine sound gen1

Eeeww, that's nasty!
You need to really pin-point exactly where in the engine that is originating from.
where that is coming from.
If it was me I'd be getting my mechanic's stethoscope and going over the whole engine with it.
I had a noise similar, not as loud, but it also went quiet when warmed up . . turned out it was the camshaft roller bearings on the right hand side of the camshafts, worn and rumbling at specific revs, 1500 to 2000rpm, I replaced them with new Japanese bearings and the noise disappeared, have never had a problem since.
Now, just to be clear, I am NOT saying this is the cause, but I am saying it is one thing to check, you never know, it may be the cause, it may not.

Thank you for the response.

The noise is coming right under the throttlebodies, middle of the engine. I'm going to take my busa to the mechanic next week to the valve adjustment so he can inspect what is that noise. Can you show me the picture of camshaft roller bearing?

Open the link I put in my post above and scroll down to the 5th post, all the info you need re the bearing.

1627465529518.png

Eeeww, that's nasty!
You need to really pin-point exactly where in the engine that is originating from.
where that is coming from.
If it was me I'd be getting my mechanic's stethoscope and going over the whole engine with it.
I had a noise similar, not as loud, but it also went quiet when warmed up . . turned out it was the camshaft roller bearings on the right hand side of the camshafts, worn and rumbling at specific revs, 1500 to 2000rpm, I replaced them with new Japanese bearings and the noise disappeared, have never had a problem since.
Now, just to be clear, I am NOT saying this is the cause, but I am saying it is one thing to check, you never know, it may be the cause, it may not.
Hi. You can also get ceramic cam bearing for the cams.

I still dont get it where the bearings are located exactly, is it huge job to replace them?
The bearings are adjacent to the cam chain sprocket on the end of the camshaft, press off the sprocket then press off the bearing, ogress on new bearing and press sprocket back on in the exact same position it was in before removal.
Simple.
Big job? Yeah massive job.
Removing cams and doing this work is no walk in the park.

Hard to tell from that video, one would have to be there to really hear the noise....could be the cam chain tensioner or guides?

63,000 kms isn't that many as these bikes are known to go many more kms with very little issues-unless it was rodded hard and spent lots of time in the upper revs hitting the limiter a lot that is.....

What oil are you using?

Did you just notice this noise?

I was thinking the chain tensioner too or valves, hard to tell yeah.

I will get it tho the mechanic so he can check the chain and valves first. I've been riding this bike only 2000km's so i dont know the bikes usage.

The noise has been few months always when cold start. I don't remember it last summer.

I use motul 5100. I'm sorry if my english is bad =D

I was thinking the chain tensioner too or valves, hard to tell yeah.

I will get it tho the mechanic so he can check the chain and valves first. I've been riding this bike only 2000km's so i dont know the bikes usage.

The noise has been few months always when cold start. I don't remember it last summer.

I use motul 5100. I'm sorry if my english is bad =D
Only 2000kms out of it's life....it could have had a hard life before....

Always better to err on the side of caution.

....and your English is just fine

Some update; So my busa is now at the workshop and the mechanic found that the cam chain tensioner was maxed out and the cam chain and the tensioner needs now replacement.:crazy: He checked the valve adjusments too and those was all good.

It's less common that the cam chain need replacement but no can do. at least a fault was found and now i have many many kilometers to ride without worrying the chain condition. :race:

Last edited:
Back