Engine RPM increases every time the bike is leaned

HayaWakened

Donating Member
Registered
All other factors being equal, (throttle input, speed, velocity) this video asserts that a leaned bike decreases wheel circumference, and that decrease in wheel circumference means engine rpm must be increased in order to maintain that equality.

Agree? Disagree? Practically applicable? Your thoughts.

From what I understand and I've never measured and not even qualified to offer much in terms of knowledge, but when you lean the bike over the circumference of the tire is lessor effectively changing the gear ratio(caused by the lessor circumference combined with deformation of the tire)

All other factors being equal, (throttle input, speed, velocity) this video asserts that a leaned bike decreases wheel circumference, and that decrease in wheel circumference means engine rpm must be increased in order to maintain that equality.

Agree? Disagree? Practically applicable? Your thoughts.

While that is a technical fact, it is irrelevant practically. The throttle is used to drive through a turn at operator selected speed which is rarely maintained exactly equal to before turn in.

That's awesome! I never thought about it geometrically but I have noticed the phenomenon. I"m not a racer by any means but I'm always aware of the small variance of power characteristics by the changing RPM. I've adjusted by going into turns a gear high, and now I understand why mathematically. Thanks!

While that is a technical fact, it is irrelevant practically. The throttle is used to drive through a turn at operator selected speed which is rarely maintained exactly equal to before turn in.
You kill me my friend, Lol! The guy is a pro racer and he actually shows you how to use it and you answer "this is irrelevant". :laugh:

You kill me my friend, Lol! The guy is a pro racer and he actually shows you how to use it and you answer "this is irrelevant". :laugh:
Perhaps it’s his accent that fascinates you?
I thought with all that money you spent, you now have traction control?
Archie, I think I knew that adding throttle close to the point of losing traction is something I knew before I was 16 years old. The fact that at high lean angles the contact patch is a lot smaller and there is more torque on the rear wheel is insignificant when compared to resultant forces not parallel to direction of travel when turning. When he talks about MotGP he forgets to tell us that today electronics and traction control interferes with operator input.

I often wonder with all this tech on bikes, is the bike's computer in charge or is the rider?? One thing I like about the Hayabusa is it's an old school bike where the rider is in charge. Traction and wheelie control is controlled by the rider's right wrist.

I'd like to see motorcycle racing to go to bikes without all the giszmos. That would really put rider against rider instead of computer against rider.

Take a look at the tech in vehicles, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, back up cameras, trailer park assist, etc, blah, blah...drivers who rely solely on all this tech are totally lost if any of it fails and in many ways are dangerous as they seldom look behind them or do shoulder checks anymore.

My $0.02

Perhaps it’s his accent that fascinates you?
I thought with all that money you spent, you now have traction control?
Archie, I think I knew that adding throttle close to the point of losing traction is something I knew before I was 16 years old. The fact that at high lean angles the contact patch is a lot smaller and there is more torque on the rear wheel is insignificant when compared to resultant forces not parallel to direction of travel when turning. When he talks about MotGP he forgets to tell us that today electronics and traction control interferes with operator input.

I meant to say “Not adding throttle close to the point of losing traction is something I knew before I was 16 years old”

Sigh, the internet and those who believe everything they see and hear.

I think the point of the OP's video is that the rpm increase that you get when the bike is leaned over can cause a rider to under estimate the effective amount of throttle they are giving the bike, potentially leading to a high-side. Good information if you are riding a 190 HP bike with no TC I think.

A couple of good videos here. It's nice to hear experienced riders talk about details most of us figure out on our own, usually on the road. I've ridden since '79; that's a lot of saddle time to figure out what not to do while having a blast :)

He has a bone stock bike. Obviously it supercedes his ability, or he would have looked for ways to make it better. Does it surprise you that he finds facts such as this irrelevant? It shouldn't.... it's entirely in keeping with his persona here.

Back