Engine Removal Keeping Chain in tact

ColdBusa

Take this Jerry, you silly little rodent
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys,

Just a quick question for ya. I am going to drop the motor this weekend, and I took off the front sprocket. The chain is still in tact and I was wondering if you were able to pivot the motor when taking off the last motor mount so you don't have to remove the master link in the chain. There is alot of slack in the chain as I moved my adjusters all the way forward. Just wondering if anyone has done it like this, or if I will have to remove the link.

Thanks guys.

Easier to remove link, not much room unless bike rear is way up in air. The motor has to then be sat down and twisted out, will likely scratch arm up...cover arm with painters tape before disassembly if possible

Thansk Golden. I'll just remove the master and cover up the arm so the chain doesn't damage the powder coat.

Hey guys. I didnt have to take the master link out. I actually just took the rear wheel off, slid the chain forward, pivoted the chain out of the way and off I went. I was going to take the wheel off anyway, so I got 2 birds with one stone.

I never remove the the chain, nor the rear wheel, just move it forward

Be sure to check your chain for any tight spots or kinks, hence reason I remove them. It's a $10 master link,lol.. You can do thorough chain inspection,cleaning and re-lube it, if it's off the bike....no chain gunk all over a freshly cleaned bike or engine... :thumbsup:

Hey guys. I didnt have to take the master link out. I actually just took the rear wheel off, slid the chain forward, pivoted the chain out of the way and off I went. I was going to take the wheel off anyway, so I got 2 birds with one stone.

Last edited:
Back