engine problems any ideas

fsubob2003

Registered
I bought a bike that needed alot of cosmetic parts a few months ago and finally got it together. The first time I cranked it I noticed the bike was idling pretty rough and spitting some white smoke. I changed the clutch,brake,radiator, and oil/filter when I put it together and everything looked fine. I changed it again yesterday to make sure not water was in the oil and it looked ok.

Anyone had this happed or heard of this before? Even though it smokes and sputters it still pulls really hard when I crack the throttle.

Any ideas thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

Have you ridden it yet. I would run a tank of high quality fuel with some lucas fuel treatment through it. RIDE IT HARD!!!!

My girlfriends Ninja 250 was running like crap (I know it's carb'd) and it has like 450 miles on it. I ran a tank of BP ultimate with Lucas fuel treatment and it cleared it right up. Runs like a raped baby ape now.
You might have a clogged injector or crap in the fuel filter. Check all the vacuum lines under the tank, too.

I thought it might be an injector so I did put in a tank of high test along with fuel injector cleaner.

I have ridden it for a few miles but I read a post last night about someone who kept riding with problems similar to mine an caused engine damage.

I will check the hoses under the tank thanks for the info.

If anyone else thinks of anything else please let me know.

stuck injector or maybe a bad head gasget??..just a guess..

hard to tell without doing a few tests like said or taking a good look at it..

Gl..

to me white smoke would indicate water vapor, which would lead me to think cracked head or head gasket. At this point no water in oil is good for the bearings. I would think its a leak into the cylinder, bet you will see your water level take a slow drop.

if it gets too bad and too much water gets into a cylinder I would worry about a hydro lock of a piston which could lead to a bent rod.

Back