Engine problem, noise, performance, and starting issues.

Sean298

Registered
Had some transmission work done due to the infamous 2nd gear slipping.. So I had the whole lower case off for that. I got it all back together and now I have this horrible sound when it is running, sounds like a bottom end problem. something isn't right. But that's if it starts, it's very hard starting and has this strange hard spot when starting as well. I'm sort of afraid to keep trying to start it to even try and record a video.

Here's me trying to start it ~ Hayabusa issue - YouTube

Ok here, are you sure you din not have any extra pieces??
When you took the motor apart, did you remove the cams?
Are you sure that when you installed the lower case, no bearing halves fell out?

I didn't have any extra parts laying around when I was done.

I did the valve clearance so I had to remove the cams and reset the timing.

I would have noticed a bearing falling out (at least I hope so).

The fi light and oil light isn't on when running

Its really strange, I think the timing may be off too but the crank and cam marks are spot on, 15 pins between cams, etc.

I had to reshim all of them for the most part, they're all in spec. Right around 14 for intake and 24 for exhaust

Question for you guys, when the motor has piston #1 at TDC, the intake cam should have the 3 arrow straight up and the exhaust cam has the number 2 arrow straight up. Yes?

Its really strange, I think the timing may be off too but the crank and cam marks are spot on, 15 pins between cams, etc.

I had to reshim all of them for the most part, they're all in spec. Right around 14 for intake and 24 for exhaust

I hope that's metric and not standard clearances.

This is it
1 on the exhaust shld be right on point with the edge of the head. Never below the edge any!! If chain is stretched any then it will be a little above the edge.

image.jpg

Third times the charm. Timing was off by a tooth on both cams. They were turned towards the front of the bike. Now to figure out the oil leak I discovered :/

Well now that you have the timing squared away and ur running down the oil leak have the battery load tested.

In the midst of putting the valve cover back on, one of the gaskets for the spark plug dropped into the head and I unknowingly put it all back together, so it was pissing oil all over the headers and making a big smoke show down the street. That's pretty crappy, at least I'm good at tearing apart my bike now ._.

I'm ahead of you there, my battery only tested out at 109cca fully charged. Ordered a new lithium battery with almost triple the cranking amps.
YTZ12S Z12S Lithium Ion Sealed Battery 12V - 290 CCA Motorcycle Scooter ATV:Amazon:Automotive

Back