Engine mount bolt?

blacked_busa

Registered
I was looking to add frame sliders to my busa but on further investigation, I noticed what looks like the engine mount bolt is broken off inside. If your sitting on the bike this is on the left side. On the opposite side there is no bolt at all. I have attached a pic of the bolt broken off inside. I bought this bike 2 years ago and it had the cut outs for frame sliders but ive never looked into putting any on the bike.

question #1: How unsafe is this with having a missing bolt and one bolt broken in half? Ive had this bike for 2 years and have never had any issues.

question #2: How can I get this broken bolt out? And when I do, do I need to have a bolt in place on the other side? I thought about taking it to a machine shop and getting them to take it out.

question #3: When I do get frame sliders, do I need a base kit? Or can I use the pair of frame sliders with 2 bolts. Not sure what the base kit does?

Sorry not the greatest pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you drop the motor out, it wouldnt be all that difficult to get out. I know dropping the motor sounds scary but its not all that bad. On the right side, there is a spacer that will allow you to slide the motor to the right to get it out. I would fix much sooner than later. You will need the special motor mount tools - home made or otherwise.

Thought about the easy out but im afraid i may break the bit off inside and end up with more problems. My biggest concern is my safety. Ive rode around for 2 years with this but I just dont want my engine to fall out. Not sure if that could happen.

Thats probably not gonna happen. the only special tool needed is the engine socket. everything is basic metric tools and some good ol gunts 'n swears and maybe a friend to help.
Thought about the easy out but im afraid i may break the bit off inside and end up with more problems. My biggest concern is my safety. Ive rode around for 2 years with this but I just dont want my engine to fall out. Not sure if that could happen.

I'm kinda nutz.:cookoo: I love the challenge of a broken bolts. If I lived in yer neighbourhood,I would have volunteer'd to get that monkey out.

Yer 3'rd question. You need frame sliders that look like this:

For your GenII,one is longer than the other. One has an extended piece.

RSD.

sliders%202.jpg

Back