Engine longevity

hayabuser

Registered
I'm shopping around for a Hayabusa and have seen a few that have a good amount of mileage on them. One I really like has 48,000kms (about 30,000 miles) on it but is in showroom condition. The owner used it for touring and the majority of the mileage is highway cruising.

Is this too much mileage for a used Busa?

Thanks

I think the big question here would be how well was it maintained~?~

I ride mine hard, but I am a stickler for good maintenance. Does it get dirty, yes...does the oil get changed more often than most, hell yes~!~

Sometimes it's hard to tell, but there's a lot of riders out there that don't do the first thing to the bike to maintain it. Just take a close look at the little stuff and you might get an idea.

If it was maintained then I would think it would be OK.
You can tell if it was babied or used as a hot rod.
Look for things added that he cared about, and extra things done to maintain it.

Hey:

Welcome!

:welcome:

I'm over 60,000 miles on mine. It gets ridden hard and I still do Track Days with it. Its all in the maintenance.

Walk away from the one's that look as if they've never been cleaned since day one.

look at the chain, you will b eable to tell allot by that.... if its nice and shiney im sure he maintained it well, if its nasty RUN!!!!:rulez:

Also look under the rear fender area, if there is rubber up in there he has really spun the tire. If it doesn't smoke at all and the clutch feels good, it should be OK, but still realize it has miles on it and you need to stay on top of maintenance. That's clutch/brake cables, clutch slipping jerking, and brake pads. Batteries are a crap shoot so it will die to let you know you need another new one! Enjoy your new ride!! Also, sometime in there the valves have to be checked. I don't know at what mileage. Once this is all OK, your good for thousands of miles of fun.

I'm at nearly 51,000 on my '06 and never have had an issue with the engine (inside)---just having the proper maintenance done as the others have said is the most important factor....I personally am just afraid of buying used because you don't really know how well it was taken care of...I hope for the best for ya though... I know if it was well maintained you would be ok....mine still runs just as hard now as the day I put the first mile on it!!!!

pretty much what everybody else said....if the oil was changed every 2K miles or so and kept at a proper level, filter changed, and washed....well thats about all you can ask out of one. Usually if a bike has 30K miles on it then its been maintained descent.

I would ask the person maintenace related questions to see if he/she knows the first thing about it, ask for receipts, where it was serviced, and looking at the chain was a great comment by sessions. The more questions you are armed with, the better chance you have at finding a good bike. A person who takes good care of their bike will take pride in showing off how well they cared for it..............I would also consider forking over a few dollars to have the bike looked at by someone......someone other than the dealer or shop that had worked on the bike previously.......good luck, I'm still trying to find one myself, two months into it.....:banghead:

well I would add to this but I don't need to it's all been said. :thumbsup: it's a vehicle like any vehicle if you maintain it it will run well.

look at the chain, you will b eable to tell allot by that.... if its nice and shiney im sure he maintained it well, if its nasty RUN!!!!:rulez:

Yeppas~!~ Don't you love the bike that pulls in and has 1/8 inch of crud and rust on the chain~?~ That tells a lot~!!~

And compression ratio not that important to longevity. Know of a Duramax (17.5 apx) with 300,000 towing heavy loads in mountains. How you ride and Maintain.

I have 26k on my 07 no problems and I beat the piss out of mine, but I maintain it well too

It's hard to really abuse a motor this big without tearing the bike up in other ways. Said another way, a pristine bike is probably that way because the owner doesn't do stupid (fun!) stuff with it and has never dumped it when it got away from him.

In contrast, smaller bikes - like 600s - are often clapped out by 20,000 miles because the owners wring them to redline all the time. It's really hard to wring a big bad Busa motor to redline on the street, and even then, usually only in first gear. So most big-motor bikes just loaf through life.

It's not so much the numbers on the odometer it's how they got there. Pashnit (Tim) has logged many a mile on his work Busa.

Back