engine jerking and cutting off

Paintbawler

Registered
ok, I've just got this busa(this being my first post....not the way I wanted to have to intoduce myself). it's a 99 with power commander and full yoshi. all of the sudden friday it started jerking around while I was cruising. it was like the engine wasn't getting enough fuel or somethng. and then it just shut off. restarted the bike, let it idle for a little bit to see if I could find a problem with it, but didnt find anything, so I put it in gear and start riding, and it does it again. I went to the local shop and they said it sounded like a problem with the fuel system, he said to check everything from the fuel filter to the pump, to the power commander. well, I wanted to narrow that down, and so I searched on here, and found that someone had a similar problem and fixed it by cleaning their injectors. so here's my questions:
1. do you guys think that it's the injectors that are causing the problem? If not, what do you think could be causing the problem?
2. what do I use to clean the injectors? does it need to be a special cleaner, or can I use any injector cleaner? also, when cleaning, can I just run the cleaner through the bike, or do I have to pull the injectors to clean them?

again, thanks for the help in advance,
matthew

PS - NICE TO MEET EVERYONE
tounge.gif

I have had my bike since July '06....have already got 6100 miles on it as of today...have not had ANY trouble out of mine until yesterday on my way home from work...I was running low on fuel ( had about 20 miles left in my tank estimated) - was cruising down the highway at about 75 and all of a sudden my bike just cut off (like you had reached up and hit the kill switch- just that drastic). Cut off for about 3 seconds then ran back up just like nothing had ever happened. It did this probably about 8 times before I got home...I stopped and fueled up totally on the way home; got home and realized it had to be either A: I had gotten some bad gas with water in it ( which was likely since I was almost all the way empty when it started happening or B: It might be some sort of electrical problem- so I started thinking of what all could cause the bike to cut off so suddenly ( like you would hit the kill switch). Either I had a problem with the kill switch or the switch down on the kickstand...I checked and my kickstand had become semi-loose...maybe just enough to allow the microswitch to ease out just enough to make the bike cut off. A rough ride and loose kickstand can allow the switch to come out just enough to momentarily cut the bike off then cut back on....So I tightened up the kickstand as much as possible-checked to make sure it was engaging the switch good enough. After that, I went to Auto-Zone and got a bottle of Sea-Foam Motor Treatment- for fuel injectors cleaning and to remove any moisture in the tank. Used 1/2 bottle in full gas tank....run that tank through and use the rest of the bottle in next tank full...I have done these two things and mine has not give me ANY more problems...runs perfectly now...Hope that might help ya....
cool.gif

coop, thanks, ya, I'm definately going to try cleaning out the injectors first, cause it's cheaper than replacing the fuel pump. but just incase I do, I'm wondering, are there any aftermarket fuel pumps that will work better? or should I just get an OEM replacement?.......and on that matter, is there a place(havent found one besides a used one on ebay) that I can get one besides going to a dealership and having them order me the part?

mine was doing that also but only at high rpms. it was the pc2. i disconnected it and blew all the dust off it and plugged it back in. that fixed it for me. ive been hearing of a lot of ppl having problems out of the pc2's. when i get the dough, ill get a pc3usb

pychobusa - naw, mine is pc3usb, so I guess it's time to start working on the other stuff...any advice on aftermarket fuel pumps?

big-t thanks, hopefully, I'll be able to get her working again, and go for a ride and see what this bad girl can really do.

You dont need to get a whole new pump unless you go with a 2001 or higher or aftermarket pump. You need to take the pump completely apart and clean the screens. It is rare that the injector screens clog. You might choose to remove them also.

IDK, it's just what the pc says, and it has the usb port cable , so figured that's what it is. is there a place that I can read up on how to correctly and completely take apart the pump and clean it?

(GSXRN99 @ Sep. 10 2006,13:07) pc111 on a '99? didn't know you could do that
I just found this out too... the new PC3's will work on the 99-01's...

Hello, I've been having the same problem on my '05. It would cut out on me when I was full throttle. I had a map set for it with the K&N filter and Full Yoshi exhaust. The bike ran great for about six months with that map and then all the sudden started giving me problems. I tried different maps with no luck. I then decided to pull the PCIII usb off and run the bike normal. Now, it runs great with no cutting out. The only dissappointment I have is that the idle is rough. Anyone here have the same problem with their PCIII usb?

(jasonbusa @ Sep. 15 2006,06:12) Hello, I've been having the same problem on my '05. It would cut out on me when I was full throttle. I had a map set for it with the K&N filter and Full Yoshi exhaust. The bike ran great for about six months with that map and then all the sudden started giving me problems. I tried different maps with no luck. I then decided to pull the PCIII usb off and run the bike normal. Now, it runs great with no cutting out. The only dissappointment I have is that the idle is rough. Anyone here have the same problem with their PCIII usb?
Yes, thats why I took mine off. For some reason I think thats why my injectors are screwed up too but oh well. Call up dynojet and send it to them...

can the fuel pump be rebuilt?

<a href="http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/productlist~section_dept_id~1170244~terrain_dept_id~1183501~cat_dept_id~1230885~product_de
pt_id~1231100~selection_Path~3.asp" target="_blank">http://www.bikebandit.com/partsba....h~3.asp</a>

Back