engine idle choke on/off almost the same

samw5

Registered
OK I'm not sure if it's a big deal but I've noticed that ever since doing my mods (this winter) the bike idle has been a bit low and the choke (idle adjuster... i know it's only supposed to rev RPM a bit) doesn't do as much anymore (doesn't seem to raise it very high).

I have installed a full Yoshi TRS line, headers are wrapped, TRE, small box, pair removed, and I got a PCIII USB with custom map (for Akra line with same mods).

Yesterday I was leaving work didn't warm up the bike as long as usual, removed the choke and it almost immediately stalled (which is ok i suppose) but then popped loudly when I tried to restart and didn't not right away (almost like it wasn't getting gas...). Waited 10 seconds and it fired back up no problems.

It's not really causing any problems but I figured I'd ask to see if those things are common with these mods or if I should check the plugs sooner than normal (I was going to wait a few hundred mi at least... probably done less than 200).

Any thoughts?

as in idle adjustment? it sits around 1k (warm) right now in 60F weather... sounds a bit low... using the choke will only raise it a few hundreds.

Not sure if it's related to the recent mods, but my Busa needed idle adjustment twice now in 5 years, second time just this past weekend...the idle "choke" wasn't bringing RPMs up much and even with the bike warm, whenever I'd downshift, the RPMs would drop so low, the bike would cut off...

Simple to adjust the idle...might want to start there and see if it fixes the problem
smile.gif

Hopefully someone else has some advice too...

There is the larger screw you can see to adjust the idle as you face the throttle bodies. Behind that and toward the front there is another samll screw. That will adjust the amount of fast idle that the thumb control will change. Make sure the cable is adjusted correctly as well.

Its fuel injected, no choke. Its just a idle enrichment. Adjust the cable if it idles too low, I need to do mine as well.
beerchug.gif

cool, will check these out... what's the recommended idle on slightly modded engines? 1k 1.1k I think is stock but seems a bit low.

My engine builder told me he sets busa idle's at 1300 - 1400 for better oil circulation.

From what I see of the fast idle it is just a mechanical cam.. should not affect A/F unless the MAP is set to go rich at off idle..

From what I see of the fast idle it is just a mechanical cam.. should not affect A/F unless the MAP is set to go rich at off idle..
You are correct. It is a fast idle only! I also do exactly like you are saying and richen that one cell it is using so I get a bit smoother idle when it is cold at that rpm. As it warms the idle speed starts moving to the next cell and leaning slightly as it climbs.

ok checked the RPM, when i first start the bike in the morning it jumps to around 1500RPM almost right away and climbs to roughly 1800-1900 after a few minutes. That's with the "choke" on. If I remove it the engine will dip right below 1k.

Seems that it used to be higher prior to the mods...

Back