Engine Heat

archeryblackdog

Registered
Hello there, this is not really a Ridding question nor an bike question but more a conffort question.

When it's hot and I am ridding at low speeds 10 to 40 mph, the heat from the engine, burns the flesh an muscle arround by shiens specially on the left leg.

I ride with jeans, I ahve not notice this with leather pants, but then again can weat leather in this time of the year in texas is 95+ degrees.
firedevil.gif

Any comments on how to eigther
race.gif
handdle the heat, reduce the heat shield from it?

Kind Regards.

The only thing I can tell you is wear your leathers.

right now I am riding to work every day, when I get off work it has been mid to high 90's

I wear leather pants, high top motorcycle boots (motorcross boots basically)

I wear upper body armor that is made out of a woven type net

Helmet

Gloves that breath and allow air to flow through bu they have carbon fiber at the impact points.

I think the key is if you are not used to wearing this in hot weather, it is miserable, but you will get used to it.

Another key is I hydrate real well, especially before I leave work I drink lots of cold water.

I dont think there is much you can do to the bike. I was used to wearing my leathers all the time, the first time I ever road it in just jeans I thought my boys were going to cook into fried eggs
SHOCKED.gif

Low speed is miserable.. butt gets sweaty etc...not much we can do...
I rode 375 miles on Monday.... 60's to 90's as long as i am moving at 60 on up -- no heat issues coming from the bike I wear joeRocket ventilated pants and jacket heavy gloves and heavyduty boots... I love my Busa... 828 miles over the last 3 day's

wrap some asbestos around your left calf/shien

try longer socks or taller boots

move fan to the right side and your left leg should be fine

Double the tank insulator... You will have to cut the second one up a bit, but it DEFINETLY helped around my thighs...

First, I will say you must be wearing some relatively thin jeans (I wear ICON Anthem jeans - thick double denim and/or aramid fiber in abrasion areas).  I can feel more heat from the bike when I have worn everyday jeans.

Second, if you don't have some high shin motorcycle boots, get some.  You can get a pair of "Set-Up" boots for $125, made by SIDI!

Third, I'm in FL where the heat + humidity is ridiculously high this time of year.  But if I'm going on a spirited ride for the day I wear full leathers.  Obviously you already know if you're moving it's more tolerable...it's when you stop it gets miserable.  Get yourself some Under Armor Heat Gear apparel to wear under your leathers - the tight stuff.  Long sleeve shirt and the "long" compression shorts (to just above the knee).  Also, I wear a Nike skull cap similar to the UA Heat Gear...helps keep the helmet comfortable on my head and keep my helmet cleaner longer. this tight fitting/breathable material allows you to cool off faster and provides a gap of air between you and your leathers allowing for cooling. If I just pinch my shoulders together while riding I feel a cool rush of air going down my back.

you could wrap your headers... that will cut down on your engine compartment temps...

(Sloto200 @ Jul. 25 2007,09:20) you could wrap your headers... that will cut down on your engine compartment temps...
Sloto,

Is it true that wrapping your headers can crack your pipes because it doesn't allow the heat to dissipate as it should.

I don't know, just asking.

(DR1300R @ Jul. 25 2007,10:32) Quit being a wus and ride..
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
That's pretty much what I tell people when they complain about it being too hot to ride or ask me how can I wear leathers in this heat.

I was just trying to give him some advice to make it more tolerable.

laugh.gif

Thanks to everybody for all your advise, I can see some useful tips here that I will put in to practice!
bowdown.gif

Sencondly, I love ridding in Cold or Hot weather, and I will ride regardless of the temperature, I was just trying to see what everyone else does about heat issues, at the end I guess it resumes to: 1) wear leathers, 2) ride and dont be a wimp.
guns.gif
3) avoid trafic ligths at rush our (these are killers)
SHOCKED.gif

I will check further in Exhaust wrapping.

Thank you all and keep the good advice comming!
super.gif

(Over_Easy @ Jul. 25 2007,09:24) Is it true that wrapping your headers can crack your pipes because it doesn't allow the heat to dissipate as it should.
it's a big fat lie unless you somehow put some old 70's era cast iron headers on your busa....
poke.gif

(Commuta_Busa @ Jul. 25 2007,11:54)
(Over_Easy @ Jul. 25 2007,09:24) Is it true that wrapping your headers can crack your pipes because it doesn't allow the heat to dissipate as it should.
it's a big fat lie unless you somehow put some old 70's era cast iron headers on your busa....  
poke.gif
Clears that one up for me...

Wrapping your exhaust pipes should never crack the pipe(s).  Cracking is caused by extremely rapid cooling.  Wrapping the exhaust should allow it to cool down even slower, thereby reducing the possibility of cracking.  Try this sometime... turn on a light bulb and allow it to heat up a while... then unplug the lamp... (make sure you have safety goggles on) then place a cold towel on the bulb... metal reacts the same way to rapid cooling.  Also for those of you with titanium exhausts, titanium cracks like a som-beech... especially thin titanium.  Titanium is used on aircraft, not for resistance to cracking, but for resistance to heat.  Thats why we use it for engine bay heat shields.  Most of the newer fighter aircraft have even gotten away from using titanium components.  They have gone more steadily to composites and aluminum alloys, except in engine bays.  Even the more critical, high stress components are now made of steel and titanium alloys, rather than straight titanium.  You may consider this before your next titanium exhaust system purchase.  Also, I cannot imagine an exhaust wrap sold that is made from asbestos, esp with the federal rules and regs regarding asbestos abatement.  However, if you do happen to purchase exhaust wrap that is made from asbestos, you probably should wear a proper respirator while cutting the stuff and proper gloves when handling it.  Even some of the new asbestos "substitute" materials now-a-days are extremely carcinogenic when they are cut (fibres float into the air and get into your lungs).  Do not breath the dust.  The best thing to do is look on the package and find out what the stuff is made of.  Then go on-line and see if you can find an MSDS (almost all MSDS's are avail on-line now).  Download the MSDS, or view it, and read its description from front to back.  It will tell you how to handle the materials.

xlcc - interesting post. As far as asbestos... I don't think any legitimate company is selling header wrap with it. I don't even think it would be legel. (I think we both agree).
Breathing it in.... well my parents schools have/had asbestos...every school I went to has/had asbestos... my kids schools have/had asbestos... buildings I've worked in have asbestos... and so on... I'm not saying it's safe but I wouldn't go nuts over any short term exposure to it.

Titanium exhaust systems.... I've wrapped titanium alloy exhaust systems plenty of times. I don't think you could even find any that are pure Ti only. If you could it wouldn't be as good as an alloy and it would cost a ton more.

yes Ti exhausts may seem more likely to crack than SS but that would be vibration related and not from heat cycles. I've got a Ti header pipe that is completely smashed in at a bend and it isn't cracked. Only colapsed. The wall thickness on these pipes are plenty thick enough to prevent fatigue cracks.

Back