Engine bogs around 6,000rpm.

reid

Registered
I have a 2002 with 41,000 miles. The engine bogs around 6,000rpm most of the time (no codes or FI lights). I replaced the plugs, air cleaner and cleaned the fuel filter and the problem still exists. I am the original owner and have not had this bike raced or ragged on (maybe that's the problem). For the last several years it has been used as a highway commuter bike . It never gets up into the 6,000- 10,000 rpm except to pass. The bike is maintained by a shop(15,000 services) and fluilds and what not by me. Bike is stock and i run 91 octane gas. Any advise on where to start would be great.

Last edited:
It's the right place. It just hasn't been seen by someone who knows what could be wrong with it.

I don't know what the proper PSI for the fuel pump is, but you should be able to find out, and test it and make sure it's putting out the correct pressure. That's what I would try next.

Check the electric connections for the fuel injectors, inspect them, make sure they aren't dirty clogged etc. Inspect the fuel rail, no build up inside of it (unlikely)

That's about all I can think of right now.

Fuel pressure and output is good. I took her out today and after rolling on and off the throttle in 1st and 2nd was finally able to get her into the 10,000rpm range I held her there for a mile or two and started to shift through the others and still had a little bogging but was able to climb out of it. I guess i just have to open her up now and then. I will try this a few more times and maybe the issue will be remedied. Great forum; i have not been snooping for some years now. I will be around a little more.

MY '04' Busa has 68k commuting. I had the same problem with Bogging out,missing, like a rev limiter at around 6k-rpm, changed the pump, r/r the TRE, New filter,..problem didn't clear up till i changed fueling locations. I would fill up at the same 2 stations more than 60% of time. Not the brand of fuel..just the location. pick a new gas station,run several tanks of fuel through it while adding a little Lucas (Upper Cyl. Lube) to your fuel for about 4-5 fill ups. Thats when my problem went away.

Yep, possible fuel pump playing out on you slowly.... as was said, find a mech who has a pressure gauge to see if your pump is maintaining 43 psi on the output pressure... didn't realize mine was slowly going bad until I had it on the dyno... In the 80-100% throttle range it was bogging down...didn't know it until trying to do a map for it because I don't run at 80-100% all the time...Normal commuting for me to in the 70-80 mph range... I still ran this pump for a few more months (to get the funds together to buy a new pump) and it does progressively get worse as the pump continues to die.... heck got over 62 k on my '06 though so I couldn't fuss too much.. Good luck on fixin' your issues--- I know mine drove me crazy till I could replace it--- not a good feelin' to know IF you need the top speed it ain't there if the fuel pump can't keep up with the demand...

IIRC, Busawhipped had a similar issue. Turned out to be a cracked fuel pump housing - it was losing pressure at higher RPM. He replaced the pump assy and all was well again...

I filled up in Georgia a couple weeks ago at a little c-store and withing minutes, my bike started doing the same thing. I added some fuel treatment and filled up somewhere else the next day. I am going to run the fuel out and see if it helps mine. I also added new plugs before the trip.
Any recommendations on getting the water out of the tank if it's the problem?

Have you changed the fuel hoses? They are prone to collapsing when past their best and restricting fuel. My 2000 Busa with 30,000 has just started doing it.

MIne's still running like crap 6000rpms. I unhooked my tre and my gps, charged and tightened the battery cables, regapped the new plugs.

I am going to unhook the fuel line and see if it will pump the gas into a can with the switch on. I have added fuel treatment and on my third tank of gas since it started sputtering. I will post the cure when I find it.

MIne's still running like crap 6000rpms. I unhooked my tre and my gps, charged and tightened the battery cables, regapped the new plugs.

I am going to unhook the fuel line and see if it will pump the gas into a can with the switch on. I have added fuel treatment and on my third tank of gas since it started sputtering. I will post the cure when I find it.

What was it? Mine is doing rhe same?????

Have you changed the fuel hoses? They are prone to collapsing when past their best and restricting fuel. My 2000 Busa with 30,000 has just started doing it.
The 02 busa has intank pump setup, it has a rigid nylon pipe from the tank to the injector rail, so no squashy hoses, those out of tank pumps give so many problems.

I know this probably sounds redundant but have you checked the r/r ? I had the same issue and I chased a fuel problem forever until a buddy informed me about the rectifier, problem solved. No guarantee but its easy to check.

Back