ENDURANCE K8!!

Warchild

Banned
I couldn't resist at least one season of "experimenting" to see if the Hayabusa can compete with the Blackbird as a LD rally-bike for competitive events. I am betting it won't, but that's what this experiment is all about!
cool.gif

If you're going to ride 24-hours non-stop out here in the Desert West, you better have plenty of light, and plenty of fuel.... in night-time Nevada, you could easily find yourself over 250-miles from any available fuel. So...... fuel and lights it is!

This past week, I installed and configured the FJR's 4.9-gallon, gravity-fed auxiliary fuel cell on the Busa, and also installed a set of the awesome Hella Micro DE HID Driving Lamps:

LD_ReconK8.jpg

The fuel cell is bolted to four existing sub-frame hard points. The cell is all aluminum, baffled inside, and weighs 12-lbs (including it's custom-sewn cordura tankbag.) While the potential capacity is 4.9 gallons, I can only fill to 4.6 gallons as a result of side-stand use (the aux cell was originally designed for a FJR and its center-stand)

LD_Recon_RHS.jpg

The cell uses an aircraft-style filler cap, is vented to the atmosphere. Note how one of the filler neck ring fasteners serves as a perch for a static ground wire. Also note the many stash areas/pouches that were sewn into this tankbag... tool kit, tire repair/inflation kit, etc are keep in these various pouches:

AuxFuelCell_VentSide.jpg

Vent line is connected to a more lengthy vent-line system that incorporates a fuel-overflow "catch" bottle, required in some competitive rallies. You can also see the static ground wire as it travels with the vent line and under the cell, where it is grounded directly to the sub-frame:

ventLine.jpg

The actual vent line exit is well aft of the rear tire and away from the hot exhaust. If fuel overflows for whatever reason, we don't want it splashing on rubber or hot components:

ventLineExit.jpg

Aux fuel cell use is a trivial exercise.

I wait until the low fuel light comes on, then using the (non-throttle) left hand and without taking my eyes off the road, I easily reach back and throw the red valve lever horizontal. This opens the fuel valve to allow 4.6 gallons of premium unleaded to flow via gravity right into the main cell, all within approx 13 minutes. Sweet!

AuxFuelCell.jpg

They may not look large here on the Busa, but lemme tell you, there is a STAGGERING amount of light coming out of these Hella Micro DE HIDs!

HeadOn.jpg

Incredibly powerful for their size, each Hella lamp puts out a light over twice the distance of the stock low-beam (which itself is quite excellent!). The dark magnesium housing actually blend in fairly well to the charcoal/black paint. Pretty happy with the way these came out... they are satisfyingly unobtrusive against the bike.

MicroDE_RtQtr.jpg

I think you really hit your head....$700 for a pair of driving lights? ouch...

The latest Long Distance-oriented gadgetry includes the Pro-Oiler automatic chain oiler, and a Warm-N-Safe Heat-troller (mounted on clutch reservoir) for my Warm-N-Sale electric liner.

ClutchSide.jpg

Nice job war!
beerchug.gif
very cool event for endurance riding, not may people can say they have done that, me one of them
bowdown.gif

Putting it all to the test TONIGHT!
cool.gif

Going to ride straight down HWY 395 to Nevada on a little 1500-mile LD Recon mission. I depart at midnight tonight (Fri, 11 Apr 08) and be back on Sunday.

Later, gentlemen....
beerchug.gif

did we bump our head?
rofl.gif
Yes, many years ago.
laugh.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
so what is this event?[/quote]

http://www.utah1088.com/

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
$700 for a pair of driving lights? ouch..[/quote]

Well, that's more along the lines of retail. I didn't pay anywhere near that. Thank goodness.
sadnews.gif

Still, they give off a rather unbelievable output of light that woefully belies their size. Imagine taking your K8 and installing a proper Sunlight White 4300K HID bulb in your low beam housing. Now extend the distance of this light throw by a factor of 2.

Now imagine you have THREE (3) of these setups. That's what it is like riding behind these Hellas!

I am not "outriding" my eyes even at speeds of 90-ish mph (and I have no intention/need to run that fast at night anyway), so I am set to tackle the heavily deer-infested mountains of Washington, Oregon and Nevada. Obviously, they won't guarantee avoiding a deer-strike, but they oughta give me some decent fightings odds.

Or so I hope tonight.....
sadnews.gif

sadnews.gif

Is that the seat you are going to ride on?

I ordered one in so I had a seat while mine were being re-upholstered. I rode on that for a weekend and sent that one in instead... It's as hard as a rock and the OEM seat is much more comfortable.

Looks great Warchild as an "Ironbutt" member myself it gives me a few ideas,I might just retire my CBX and use the 'Busa for my adventures
thumb_up.gif

would be impossible on a stock seat...
laugh.gif
I am REALLY liking my Corbin.. it is a bit firm for intown or rough highway but I can go 300+ miles without so much as an ache in the azz... what a relief that is after the stocker hobbles you after 200..

you should do a time lapse video... a frame very 30 seconds ....
smile.gif
beerchug.gif

Anyway, careful, good luck and waiting for your eval

Different strokes for different folks!
Goog luck on your recon mission!
Have fun and be safe!

Back