End of free speech on the internet?

NCBusa2001

Registered
http://www.infowars.com/article....ess.htm

I know, I know, "Loosen up that tinfoil", right?

Seriously, I have been worried about this "movement" underway for some time. This is yet another example of how power is consolidated, which will likely lead to more abuses.

Absolute power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, as they say.

Just an FYI.

Chris

A side note, Some of the critics of the infowars site state that Alex Jones is just trying to sell video tapes. If that was the case he wouldn't encourage people to copy them and share, thereby spreading the word. Persons just trying to make a buck won't give free premission to copy AND DISTRUBUTE their product without just compensation.

I always look at the material's source before I make any judgements or assumptions. I note that most of the "news" he posts are from very reputable sources. I think infowars does a pretty good job at reporting things that most people never see by just watching "the box" (i.e. TV).

can you sum it up in a few sentances? I lack time to read long political stances. narcolepsy kicks in too easy

No problem,

First it removes freedom of speech through financial penalties. If a person posts something in a blog (that is viewed by over 500 people) that is offensive (by who's definition?) one can be fined up to 300k. Sorry for the fragment.

Secondly, it requires the poster (now considered a lobbiest) to file a report with congress quarterly.

So basically, if someone is Offended by something someone posts, the blog (i.e. board, forum, etc) can be held liable.

Keep in mind this is another attempt to "SAVE THE CHILDREN" and to "DEFEAT TERRORISTS".

The link in my second post is more reader friendly.

WWJD: Please check out the other stories featured on the site. They should keep you stimulated enough.

Chris

Looks like the U.S. Senate struck the provision yesterday (1-18-07).  It dealt with PAID efforts to stimulate grassroots lobbying.  This is all from the U.S. Senate's website, www.senate.gov

Here's the status of Amendment 20:

20. S.AMDT.20 to S.1 To strike a provision relating to paid efforts to stimulate grassroots lobbying.
Sponsor: Sen Bennett, Robert F. [UT] (introduced 1/10/2007)      Cosponsors (13)
Latest Major Action: 1/18/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 20 agreed to in Senate by Yea-Nay Vote. 55 - 43. Record Vote Number: 17.

And here are some of the proposed amendments to Section 220:

SEC. 220. DISCLOSURE OF PAID EFFORTS TO STIMULATE GRASSROOTS LOBBYING.

(a) Definitions- Section 3 of the Act (2 U.S.C. 1602) is amended--

(1) in paragraph (7), by adding at the end of the following: `Lobbying activities include paid efforts to stimulate grassroots lobbying, but do not include grassroots lobbying.'; and

(2) by adding at the end of the following:

`(17) GRASSROOTS LOBBYING- The term `grassroots lobbying' means the voluntary efforts of members of the general public to communicate their own views on an issue to Federal officials or to encourage other members of the general public to do the same.

`(18) PAID EFFORTS TO STIMULATE GRASSROOTS LOBBYING-

`(A) IN GENERAL- The term `paid efforts to stimulate grassroots lobbying' means any paid attempt in support of lobbying contacts on behalf of a client to influence the general public or segments thereof to contact one or more covered legislative or executive branch officials (or Congress as a whole) to urge such officials (or Congress) to take specific action with respect to a matter described in section 3(8)(A), except that such term does not include any communications by an entity directed to its members, employees, officers, or shareholders.

`(B) PAID ATTEMPT TO INFLUENCE THE GENERAL PUBLIC OR SEGMENTS THEREOF- The term `paid attempt to influence the general public or segments thereof' does not include an attempt to influence directed at less than 500 members of the general public.

Back