enclosed trailer decision

merisey

Donating Member
Registered
I know bigger is better but I am torn. With what I have to play with I am down to 2 trailers locally.
1- 5x8 enclosed all aluminum trailer
2- 5x10 enclosed with side door and extra height

if i were ever do 2 bikes it would be a goldwing and my busa so at 5' I don't think they would fit either way.... I guess my father in-law would have to get his own. Just not sure weather the extra height and length out weigh the fact of not worrying about rust, rotten floor...and weight. My truck is more than capable of pulling either but I would think all aluminum would aide in the mpg battle.

Any opinions orgsters???

I had a Haulmark enclosed trailer similar to #2 and found the side door convenient. I hauled 2 small bikes side by side (a 250 and an 800) and was able to pull it with as little as a Windstar mini-van. I had it for 11 years before I finally sold it and the wooden floor was still in good shape. I treated the floor with water proofer and at times it got almost slick. I've heard of people painting the inside with bed liner which I think would give you a lot better traction. The plastic vent cover got brittle and broke off, but other than that it held up great.

I think you would need at a least 6ft wide if you are going to carry a Goldwing and a Hayabusa. and that might still be a tight fit.

You may want to consider a 7x12 just for the extra width inside. :thumbsup:

5ft width would be cramming them in there, I had a 7 and the bikes over lapped at the mirrors. I would not consider anything less than 7ft wide. Also, I learned my lesson on height as well, get as tall as you can, ducking constantly in the trailer gets old. Unless you like bumping your head. :laugh:

I have a 20 foot for sale/trade I have 4 rows of E-track

4411_1166663410076_3544084_n.jpg

4411_1166663450077_4605470_n.jpg

I have a 6 x 12 and can do a gixxer and the wing, but it is TIGHT. Like you said, no way you could do a Busa and a Wing in a 5 x 8 or 10. Always buy the biggest you can deal with in my opinion.

I know bigger is better but I am torn. With what I have to play with I am down to 2 trailers locally.
1- 5x8 enclosed all aluminum trailer
2- 5x10 enclosed with side door and extra height

if i were ever do 2 bikes it would be a goldwing and my busa so at 5' I don't think they would fit either way.... I guess my father in-law would have to get his own. Just not sure weather the extra height and length out weigh the fact of not worrying about rust, rotten floor...and weight. My truck is more than capable of pulling either but I would think all aluminum would aide in the mpg battle.

Any opinions orgsters???

How often are you going to trailer your bike? How often are you going to trailer both bikes? My guess is when you use the trailer, you'll be towing both. Buy the bigger one. Just my opinion. PS go Steelers!

Of the two choices given, I would go with the larger unit. The side door and extra height will be convenient.

Thanks guys, the more I look at it the more I want to push my budget and get a 6x10. But the reality of it is that I will most likely use it a hand full of times a year and the 2 bike thing is really not a concern as much as a convenience for my father in-law. Man i hate making decisions like this...

I have a 7x12. Because it is a v-nose, three dress Harley's will fit, but it is tough.

6' wide might be tough with a wing and a Busa, but I think you can get it in there by setting the Busa back a bit.

Soooo, I was going to go with the one with the extra height. Told my in-laws that they were on there own, you should have seen their faces. Next thing I know they are offering to throw in the extra cash to get the larger 6x12.... And dang it for some reason I didnt take it. Maybe i'll just let them deck it out with some nice sts's or chalks and e tracks

IMG_20130904_190741_058.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back