Employee rights...is this even legal?

I used to belong to this union before I got my degree and moved into management, they were a good union, good for both the workers and company, speaking from both sides of the fence here. I never seen any issue that was not taken care of with a grievance and that was only once. I will say everyone showed up for work rain, shine, snow, or floods. This being the case if things were dangerous we just had to call and say it will be a little late (ice and snow usually the issue, company okay within reason as they look at the workers as an asset and don't want to lose the skilled and trained people. People that didn't show up on time and fit for work could get fired after second time (can fire first offense but never seen it), just wasn't an issue in the workforce, other workers would hold a grudge against you if you didn't pull your weight, that s way worse than management getting pissed.

I think this article deals with union workers. Looks like it’s 20 years old, so you'd have to verify it with an employment attorney: http://www.webshells.com/ocaw/txts/doc99933.htm

On the Right To Refuse Unsafe Work

Organized workers have the right to refuse unsafe work under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), and all workers have that right under OSHA. But in both cases the right is a conditional one. Before refusing to do a job, a worker must be sure that the required conditions listed below are satisfied:
Under OSHA, the worker must have a reasonable belief, based on what he or she knew at the time of refusing, that there was a real danger of serious physical injury, even if it is later found that there was no immediate danger.
The danger was so great that the worker could not wait for an OSHA inspector before refusing to do the job.
It helps the case if the employee has volunteered to do another "safe" job in the interim. The worker should stay near the job site unless ordered to leave by the employer. Also, an OSHA inspection should be immediately requested at the time the job is refused.

What if you get fired?

If the employer fires the worker or initiates disciplinary action because of the refusal, employees must file an II(c) discrimination complaint with OSHA within 30 days.
In theory, the II(c) clause protects workers against retaliation for exercising their safety and health rights. In practice, though, it simply doesn't work. Workers who file an II(c) complaint must depend upon the federal government to investigate and prosecute their case in federal district court. The process can take months to years, and according to a 1989 study by the GAG, less than 20 percent of these cases are resolved or prosecuted. An analysis of II(c) complaints in New York City revealed that not one case out of 51 filed by workers in 1991 was settled in favor of the worker.

What about "Concerted Action"?

The rules of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) protect the right to take "concerted action" such as refusing to work to protest unsafe conditions.
"Concerted action" means that two or more workers or an individual act in order to protect other workers, even though the others may disagree with the action.

Under Section 502 of the NLRA, workers can only refuse to work if the conditions are "abnormally dangerous." As with OSHA, this does not mean that the worker has to be correct about the degree of danger. But at the time of refusal, there must have been evidence which would have made other "reasonable" people believe there was a danger.

But the Board has rarely upheld this right. In fact, in the 40-plus years since the passage of Section 502, the Board has found "abnormally dangerous" working conditions in only six contested cases.

In each of these cases the workers had to objectively prove that "tangible and immediate physical dangers" existed at the worksite. Also, the dangers had to be "substantially greater than those presented by normally existing conditions" to justify stopping work - a heavy burden indeed.

Caution.

Caution is the watchword for refusing unsafe work. It could take a long time for you to win your rights. Success is not guaranteed. OCAW recommends that employees punished or fined for refusing an unsafe job file a grievance, as well as complaints, with both OSHA and the NLRB.
Source: OCAW Reporter, July-August, 1987; and TNS, Inc. and OCAW, 309 NLRB.

Hazardous Materials Workbook, OCAW/ Labor Institute
New York, Apex Press, 1996, pp.379-80.

They didn't ask who'd volunteer first because they knew nobody would.
Sounds to me as if you don't want to work. Just wanna stay in your little cubicle doing nothing milking taxpayers for money without actually having to do any real work.
Quitcherbeechin....

:hide:

Seriously Saiid?? I'm already an on-call employee for issues RELATED TO MY DAMN JOB, so why in the world would I want to be "volunteered" for things that aren't my job, especially when we have entire departments devoted to performing those duties during an emergency?? I don't think I'm being lazy or shunning responsibility at all, and I don't sit in a cubicle all day or milk tax payers. There's a limit to what any employer should demand from employees.

My job has stated that we are expected to be on call for a major earthquake if one hits. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Where do you think management will be if a major quake hits? I know, at home with their families, as I will.

Check your employee hand book. Check your contract.

I will cover my ass first, then, haul ass home to take care of my family. The equipment at work can be replaced.

I could see it if you were MILITARY on-call 24/7

a small county is not sufficient enough for me to come out of my home away from my family.
on-call for server issues (your job) understandable especially if essential to support life(actual life or death of US)

Otherwise I think that I would just stay home and see how that goes for them. Unless they are seeing something they aren't telling you. Kinda shady way to inform employees.. HMMM

So sorry to hear chelle

Back