Emergency communications?

Riley74

Registered
My favorite routes are 400-500 miles through West Virginia, out in the middle of nowhere.

If me or one of my friends were to crash out here, using a cell phone to call for help isn't an option. Does anyone carry a two way radio or locator beacon?

I was curious to find out if anyone had a plan for handling this type of worst case scenario.

My bike has a LO-JACK. I also wear a dog tag + a card with emergency contact info.

I leave a copy of my itinerary with my wife plus ETA at my ultimate destination (where I make a phone call to check-in). My wife knows this "drill" and will initiate measures to track me down if she has not heard from me at the projected time.

I think a SAT PHONE (not cheap) is one form of communication that you can use to "reach out and touch" someone for help.....wherever you may be. We used IRIDIUM phones in Iraq.

You can either RENT or BUY: http://allroadsat.com/?gclid=CIWkgZKx76QCFQQ_bAodoWgE1g

sp-iridium-9500.png

Last edited:
A cheap EPIRB may be the way to go ?

technically, EPIRBs (emergency position-indicating radio beacons) signal maritime distress.

I think you meant PLBs (personal locator beacons) which are for personal use and are intended to indicate a person in distress who is away from normal emergency services; e.g., 9-1-1.

P.S. cut-and-pasted above from wiki

My bike has a LO-JACK. I also wear a dog tag + a card with emergency contact info.

I leave a copy of my itinerary with my wife plus ETA at my ultimate destination (where I make a phone call to check-in). My wife knows this "drill" and will initiate measures to track me down if she has not heard from me at the projected time.

I think a SAT PHONE (not cheap) is one form of communication that you can use to "reach out and touch" someone for help.....wherever you may be. We used IRIDIUM phones in Iraq.

You can either RENT or BUY: Satellite Phones & Satellite Internet | Rentals & Sales | All Road Sat

sp-iridium-9500.png

Will that work anywhere even in the mountains??? I noticed in TN on vacation in certain parts of the mountain I had no service. Not used to that here in the flatlands we have service everywhere :laugh:. Seeing as how the GPS would go out also sometimes which I think works with satellite not sure if a phone like this would help. If it does might be a good idea to rent one on my next vacation. Anyone use these things

Will that work anywhere even in the mountains???

The 1st time I used a SAT phone was in LAOS back in '99, in the middle of a triple-canopy jungle...was able to phone home :thumbsup: I am guessing that the phones now are waaay better than what we had back then.

Back