elka rear shock question, problem....help!

trevor

Registered
i am reposting from general topic to here in the racing section in hopes of finding more answers. I just ordered a new Elka rear shock w remote resevoir and remote hydraulic spring preload. whem it came in it had neither of the above mentioned options. the local dealer said elka told them that the remote resevoir was only w the stock swingarm and that it had to be the piggyback type because of my 7 over McIntosh swingarm. The swingarm is an alumistreet with noupper or lower bracing. I was also told that there was no room for the hyd spring preload, remote or otherwise.
My question is ... is anyone running a stretched swingarm with an aftermarket rear shock? if so, do you have remote resevoir and or hyd spring preload?
I dont understand how there can be less room w the extended swingarm. Or how the extension has anything to do with the remote resevoir or hyd:dunno: preload. any insite to this would be awsome.

I have to go talk to the local shop on monday about it and want to know if anyone on here has heard of this. Local shop is A1 and im not trying to bash, just i really want the ease of adjustment that these options provide.

I just installed a drag shock on my 08 with a Velocity arm and it has a remote resevoir. I don't know how to adjust the shock yet but that is another thread.

ok, i dont see how anything will make the remote res not fit! and just like the stock shock, the piggyback style is awkward to adjust....hard to reach

I just installed a drag shock on my 08 with a Velocity arm and it has a remote resevoir. I don't know how to adjust the shock yet but that is another thread.

how long is your arm and is it over braced or under braced? what make is the shock?

Arm is 6 over, not braced, shock is JRI. I don't see why the arm would have anything to do with it at all, at least for my shock. My remote resevoir attaches on top of the shock which attaches to the stock frame not the arm. I mounted the resevoir to the rear subframe.

right on, thats where most mount it from what ive seen on most bikes. the hose goes into the top of the shock, and runs over to the remote res attached to the rear sub frame. From what i can tell , the hyd spring preload mounts above the spring( away from the swingarm ) and also has a remote adjuster knob that wound be mounted to the frame somewhere. like maybe the rear footpeg. I don't see any potential problem here

i am reposting from general topic to here in the racing section in hopes of finding more answers. I just ordered a new Elka rear shock w remote resevoir and remote hydraulic spring preload. whem it came in it had neither of the above mentioned options. the local dealer said elka told them that the remote resevoir was only w the stock swingarm and that it had to be the piggyback type because of my 7 over McIntosh swingarm. The swingarm is an alumistreet with noupper or lower bracing. I was also told that there was no room for the hyd spring preload, remote or otherwise.
My question is ... is anyone running a stretched swingarm with an aftermarket rear shock? if so, do you have remote resevoir and or hyd spring preload?
I dont understand how there can be less room w the extended swingarm. Or how the extension has anything to do with the remote resevoir or hyd:dunno: preload. any insite to this would be awsome.

I have to go talk to the local shop on monday about it and want to know if anyone on here has heard of this. Local shop is A1 and im not trying to bash, just i really want the ease of adjustment that these options provide.

I just put an arm (McIntosh 2-7") on at the end of last season. I got a Penske drag shock and had them set it up for me. I put the reservoir underneath the plastic where the left side passenger pegs used to bolt in. I have an AirTech extended tail section and Tiger Tail that are going on soon. Then I will moved the reservoir up on top of the Tiger Tail. Here are a few pics.

DSC03545.JPG

DSC03546.JPG

DSC03549.JPG

DSC03553.JPG

that looks awsome, terry makes a great arm! do you drag race it?

Tha shop got back to me and it turns out there was some communication breakdowns on everyones end. End result is they are going to build me a new shock that it going to be exactly what I expected. I am really glad that we were able to resolve this issue. You deal w companies alot but its situations like this that separate ok businesses and great ones. I will continue to do all my business there where possible. cant wait to get it and put it on. going to get started on the new swingarm install this weekend!:beerchug:

Glad they got you fixed up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that looks awsome, terry makes a great arm! do you drag race it?

Tha shop got back to me and it turns out there was some communication breakdowns on everyones end. End result is they are going to build me a new shock that it going to be exactly what I expected. I am really glad that we were able to resolve this issue. You deal w companies alot but its situations like this that separate ok businesses and great ones. I will continue to do all my business there where possible. cant wait to get it and put it on. going to get started on the new swingarm install this weekend!:beerchug:
Glad you got it worked out. I drag race, but I haven't made a pass with the new arm on yet.

Back