Eliminating Tail Section

OB_99 FALCON

Registered
Was up peeps, thinking of getting rid of my tail section. Does anyone have any pictures before I invest in something I might not like. Thanks up front. FALCON 99

First put some masking tape on the tail section you want to cut off and stand back to see if you like the look or the amount you want to cut off,this way you can adjust the tape until you got the look you want.It's easier this way because once you cut it it's gone.Good Luck.Did the same on my 66VW when I built my first Baja Bug back in the early days in San Diego,saved me money on buying fiberglass fenders and steel was stronger.Chopped up the fenders to clear the big tires in the rear and the front.

Hey Falconfool I usad a dremel and it worked pretty good however it melted the plastic pretty well. Ive heard the knife idea works well and its easier to keep a straight line...im gonna cut mine further up but havent tried the utility knife yet..is it pretty easy to cut?

To tell you the truth I used a dremel on mine. Yes it does melt the plastic, cutting at a low rpm helps. Then take a piece of sandpaper and sand the edges down smooth as you can, then the final touch. Take a butane lighter and go over the edge melting all the little rough edges. Mine turned out really smooth using this method. I also took the license plate bracket off and drilled new holes in the bottom of the bracket. This allow me to raise the plate about 1". I took a piece of a shoe box, put it inside the fender and traced the edge of the fender (before I cut it) and made a template to cut by. Taped the template up on the fender where I wanted to cut it marked around it with a black maker. This gave me a a contour that was the same on both sides. I hope this helps. It is really simple. My fender is 5 1/2 inches shorter than stock. I also took the signal lights apart and shorted the stalks buy about 1 or 1 1/2 inches. I think this made them look much better as they now sit in close to the bike.

Sounds like the same work I put in my airbox.
I install a A-tech fender eleminator kit from Kawabuser fits great and I still have my stock one.

FalconFool,

You are on the right track on your signal light mod. You might consider cutting all the stalk off the signals. I did and it is too cool flush against the remaining fender. The lower section looks really cropped now. Plus I mounted my tag under the fender (actually in front/above the rear tire) after punching two screw holes through about the center of the spot where the ECM Module sits. I used a bike trailer plastic license plate bracket. Will try and get a photo posted.

I was going to use a Fender Eliminator kit but with the bike dropped the tire ends up hitting it! So I hacked mine off with a dremel then hit it with some sandpaper.

Back