electronics help?

dragonbusa

Registered
Trying to wire these leds into my shift light, I spliced into the red and black wires coming out of the board but they just barely turn them on? in this pic there hooked strait to the bat. How can i get tha signal strong enuff to light em up?

shift light 005.jpg

shift light 006.jpg

shift light 003.jpg

I know NOTHING about electronics but I would think you could put in a relay that way the LEDs would have full power feeding them when switched on by the relay......

Did you make sure the polarity was correct? LEDs are diodes, and therefore can only be wired in one way. You could try swapping the led leads and see what happens??

I know NOTHING about electronics but I would think you could put in a relay that way the LEDs would have full power feeding them when switched on by the relay......

I'm assuming the transistor in the corner of the board is switching the light circuit. This should provide ample power for a tiny LED strip such as that one

To put it easy, LED brightness depends on the voltage they get. Typically, red LEDs take 1.7-2.2V. The higher the voltage across the LED, the brighter they are. Depending on how many LEDs you have in series, depends on what the voltage will be on each LED.

For example, you have an LED brake light. When the bike is on and the brake light is dim, there is resistor that reduces each LED to a voltage of 1.8V. When you hit your brake light, a new circuit introduces a voltage that is not lowered by a resistor which makes a 2.0-2.1V across each LED making them significantly brighter.

Back