electrical problem

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
ok, my bike got dumped over in a parking lot at about 10 mph, i've finally gotten it back in running condition (was leaking oil from stator cover) and now i've got a strange issue. when i rev the bike in gear, with the clutch pulled in, the speedometer will twitch. now, no wires i saw were frayed or damaged, i'm wondering where the sensor for the speedometer is, and how it could be affected by the bike being dumped on the left side.

it's on that side, just to the right an a little bit up there is a small cover about the size of a quarter being held by one allen bolt with a couple of wires that have a plug on the end ... whooops I am talking gen 1 no idea about gen 2

Last edited:
check the plug in the gauge cluster maybe got shook up ??? this is the speed sensor I believe

speed sensor.jpg

it's not loose there. i'll check the cluster tomorrow. it's just that i'd never noticed it before, so i figured it was caused by the accident.

check the plug in the gauge cluster maybe got shook up ??? this is the speed sensor I believe

That is it... it's a magnet. Hope the cluster isn't the issue. If you have a buddy with a Suzuki ( seem pretty standard ) you can switch the sensor out and see if that is it.

long shot, but if the front sprocket has come slightly loose on the output shaft i wonder if the vibration is is sending a false signal through the sensor :laugh:

long shot, but if the front sprocket has come slightly loose on the output shaft i wonder if the vibration is is sending a false signal through the sensor :laugh:

If the the sprocket nut it loose, i think the speedo is the least of your worrys:whistle:

only 5k miles on the bike, i'd hope the sprocket nut wasn't loose. i guess i'll have to check a little later tho. won't be riding for another month or two, so i've got time. and the sensor does not look at all damaged, not a scratch on it, nor were there any chafed wires i could see.

only 5k miles on the bike, i'd hope the sprocket nut wasn't loose. i guess i'll have to check a little later tho. won't be riding for another month or two, so i've got time. and the sensor does not look at all damaged, not a scratch on it, nor were there any chafed wires i could see.

Pull the sensor out and see if there is a ton of chain lube on it... might be the issue. Simple check...

ok, all plugs are tight, it happens even when the sensor is out of the bike. couldn't get the plug undone, so i suppose it could still be a faulty sensor. i'll have to play with the plug and take it out later, but i have a feeling this is either a wiring or computer error.

Back