Electrical problem; only oil pressure warning glowing

jarim

Registered
Strange electrical problem on my friend's bike (1999 which has 32bit ecu conversion). As soon as the battery is connected, oil pressure warning light on tacho starts glowing. Turning ignition on/off does absolutely nothing. This appeared all of a sudden. Anyone else faced same? Just wondering where to start digging... :banghead:

Last edited:
The light stays on when it's running? If so do this,,,....
Make sure the oil pressure wire is not pinched in the clutch cover.
Then disconnect the wire from the oil pressure switch. If light is still on make sure the wire isn't grounded anywhere before it connects to the main harness.
If light does go out when removed from the oil pressure switch then suspect bad pressure switch or low oil pressure.

As said, turning ignition on/off does absolutely nothing. Only the oil pressure warning light glowing. So the bike seems completely dead, expect for the oil light.

Ok. So it doesn't run. You shld have been more clear on what was happening. Does the starter turn at all?

Nope, as said, completely dead expect for the oil light. I'm getting the bike in my garage today, I'll start measuring...

Fixed. It was a grounding problem. Connector grounding all electronics to battery was in pretty bad shape:
20150623_093909.sized.jpg

Fixed. It was a grounding problem. Connector grounding all electronics to battery was in pretty bad shape:
View attachment 1567170
Hey mate I also have a 99 hayabusa that has a similar problem. The bike cut out as I was walking it up a ramp. The oil pressure warning light came on and stayed on even when the the bike was switched off and the key removed. The bike wont start and the instrument panel will not light up. I had to remove the battery to make sure the light didnt drain it.

I called my mwchanic who had recentky replaced my fuel pump and spark plugs and he had no idea on wgat could be the cause.

As it sounds similar to the issue you had with your friends bike, could you give me a little bit of additional information on the cause and how was fixed and if it was an expensive exercise. That way I can give the mechanic an idea of what the problem might be and how it could be fixed.

Hey mate I also have a 99 hayabusa that has a similar problem. The bike cut out as I was walking it up a ramp. The oil pressure warning light came on and stayed on even when the the bike was switched off and the key removed. The bike wont start and the instrument panel will not light up. I had to remove the battery to make sure the light didnt drain it.

I called my mwchanic who had recentky replaced my fuel pump and spark plugs and he had no idea on wgat could be the cause.

As it sounds similar to the issue you had with your friends bike, could you give me a little bit of additional information on the cause and how was fixed and if it was an expensive exercise. That way I can give the mechanic an idea of what the problem might be and how it could be fixed.
You are trying to get an' answer from a guy who has not been on this site in 5 years. His fix was attending to a bad ground.Perhaps start there.We can walk you thru some things to check,step by step....we need some better info to get going on this.
Chances are a member who has faced this will have your answer.The time zone spread will mean a lot of the bro's wont have seen this yet.
Rubb.

Start with a good or completely charged battery and move on to the grounding side of the charging system making sure all connections are free of corrosion and have good contact. Clean all the connectors to ensure good continuity

I'm a neewbie to this forum so hi all. I'm from the UK but live in Phuket Thailand. I'm not having a good day. I've got a 2010 Gen2 and I have the same issue. F1 light came on and she started coughing and spluttering all the way home and wanted to stall. Oil pressure light came on. I checked oil and level was fine. Now she wont start at all.
I checked that the stand was up, in neutral and the big red cut-off switch was on and that was fine, but still no start. In my stupidity, I forgot to put the stand down and dropped the bike, and nearly broke my leg trying to keep her up. I'm 6 foot 2 but this girl is heavy and she down slow. On the way down she scraped a concrete pillar which has really p1ssed me off. I shall deal with the paint job (freshly done 4 months ago) another time.
Back to the issue:
As she won't start I'm guessing this is an electrical issue and ground wire. It's not pinched by the clutch but the Ground connector could be dodgy. Can someone post photos of where to find this? If you can post photos, don't do too close up because hard to see where on the bike you're looking at.

Many thanks for any help

Welcome to the forum @JPR300.

Are you saying the bike falling down just happened and is possibly related to the problem? Check the safety switch on the stand for damage. Bypass it temporarily and try to start it.
Hi @Hayabusawannabe, no the bike falling down is not related. I did that when I got her home and was running some checks that I found on this forum. I will bare in mind the 'Safety Switch' on the stand if I run into cranking issues in the future. Thank you.

These are photos of her several months ago after the new respray. I've attached new photos of the damage to the paintwork when I accidentally dropped her.

download (2).jpg

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

download (3).jpg

Check to see if you're getting fuel.
It sounds like a bad fuel pump and/or clogged fuel filter.
And it's not an uncommon issue.

welcome to the org
Hi @sixpack577,
Thank you for the welcome. She's got plenty of fuel, however, I never thought about fuel delivery issues. I've got a top Thai bike mechanic round the corner from my house (who also owns a 2006 Gen II). He knows these bikes inside out. If this was a quick fix I might try and deal with it myself but I think she will have to go into the workshop.
Thanks for your help guys, and I will reply with what the problem was when she returns.
Best wishes,
JPR300

I just spoke to my Hayabusa mechanic. He said he thinks it's the 'Clutch Switch' sensor. I did have a problem with this before which gave me an FI warning. However, I didn't get the Oil Pressure light that time. He is going to check in this order, Clutch switch Sensor, Oil Level switch sensor, then the fuel pump. He can't get the bike fixed until next Tues as he's busy. I will let you know what happens.

Great news!!! It was the 'Clutch Switch' (see images). The back end of my switch had fallen off and it was tripping the FI light.

The 'Clutch Switch' issue is really common with Gen II's apparently. The factory standard switch doesn't allow for much space (play) between connectors and keeps tripping the FI warning light. My Thai friend custom makes the switches (even sells them to the official Suzuki dealer in Phuket) and they work a treat.

The total to repair the respray was 6,400baht which is $177 USD. The parts have gone off to the body shop. For those that are interested, I had her sprayed in LEXUS 'Obsidian Black'.

I'll let you know how much the switch is.

Good to hear her running again!!!

Ae the mechanic.jpg

Diagnosing the switch.jpg

getting it started.jpg

The Clutch Switch.jpg

Back