Electrical issue mimics fuel pump problem

LCash

Registered
Just wanted to share what I believe solved my seemingly problematic fuel system issues on 99 Gen1. I bought the bike last year which had been sitting 2 years without much use. The owner took great care of it, but left the gas tank low and it got rusty inside. New fuel pump was installed just before I bought it. It seemed to cut out now and then which I explained away as fuel contaminants. The issue of cutting out continued once in awhile, but ususally when outside was 80F or more,hmmm. Cleaned out the tank, replaced the fuel pump foam cozy, and fuel lines, cleaned out the fuel pump 2 times. Still the problem came stranding me twice on hot days. Cool down awhile and go. Till this time when I saw my stator/rectifier connection burned. That very same thing happened on my gsxr750, but rust in the tank wasn't there. The bad connection connection would react to the air temps outside, never occurring at night or on cool days. Hard wired my connection, and it seems to have fixed the gremlin. Will update in the future.

Back