Electrical Issue (go figure....)

theskaz

I am all that is BACON!
Donating Member
Registered
So i have a distribution block that I hooked up using a standard relay. the signal wire to the relay is coming from the license plate light lead. Got it all wired up and accessories work as intended but the fuel pump will not cut on. Unless, I disconnect either the main power from the battery to the relay and reconnect it. Then the fuel pump will cut on and the bike will start. Did various troubleshooting steps, and the ripped everything out of there.

bike would not start.

hooked it all back up and the bike started after i connected/disconnected/reconnected the relay. Now the bike will only start if the relay is connected. I think I broke something. All of the lights and such work as nomal, just the fuel pump doesnt prime...

Any ideas? Im out of them.

What are the specs on the relay... Is it possible that either the relay is bad or that it isn't the right one for your set up? If you remove the relay and block, does everything work normally?

I tried changing relays. it is a basic 4 pin automotive relay. If I remove everything like the relay, distro box, all accessories; it still wont crank.

What about the gauge of the wire running to the fuel pump, is it large enough?

I know the headlight goes off when you hit the starter, do all the lights go out ? If so that's the problem. One thing you could do to test your hook-up, is wire the relay signal directly to the battery for testing and see if everything works.

I know the headlight goes off when you hit the starter, do all the lights go out ? If so that's the problem. One thing you could do to test your hook-up, is wire the relay signal directly to the battery for testing and see if everything works.

No just the headlight turns off. The relay works fine and my accessories work fine. Just is that my fuel pump will not turn on until I momentarily disconnect the power to the accessories. Oh and if one accessory is not plugged up, nothing works. One specific accessory...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.319330,-117.150439

What is the specific accessory? There is something you and all of us are missing with the accessories. It seems to me that is the common point of working or not working for the fuel pump.

Do you have a wiring diagram that you did up before actually wiring it that we may see? If not, do not take the extra time to do one, just might make it easier if we could see the connections.

The computer takes a +12v and a ground. It is the accessory that has to be plugged up in order for anything to work... for some reason. Keep in mind, when I rip all of this out, the bike's fuel pump will not prime. This is a crappy diagram but it should get the point across. This is, in logic, a very simple wiring setup. I dont know how in the hell it is causing my bike to act like this. I think something popped and is requiring the circuit to function correctly. But this setup has nothing to do with my fuel pump.

wiring diagram.jpg

wiring diagram.jpg

Apparently if your fuel is really low and your tank is elevated (on a stand) The fuel pump will not kick on. If you put gas in it and lower the tank back to the original place... it starts fine...FML

I've emptied the tank, put a little in, put the tank up, and the bike still primes and starts. Odd. I'm running a 99-00 tank w/ external pump though so maybe it's an intank pump issue. Glad it's fixed!

New Symptom:

When turning the key on for the first time in about 10 mins, the fuel pump takes 20-30 secs before it kicks on. If you then turn the key off, then back on, it primes immediately. as many times as you do it, until you wait for 5-10 mins.

Double check your main ground strap. I'm curious if the system is trying to ground through your accessories.

At this point, there is no accessories. It is completely stock.

You've taken a volt meter to all of the applicable wires I'm assuming?

I would have rewired the fuel pump by now to bypass all of the wiring if I had all this stuff going on.

Thats kind of my point. Without accessories in place, you may not have enough ground(earth) for certain things to energize and run properly due to a poor ground connection.

Fix'd : the ecu editor cable got fried or something and when I disconnected the white connection, the bike fired right up.

Back