Electrical gremlin

StrtRac3r

Registered
I haven't checked my fuses yet. But yesterday I rode into work, everything working fine. And when I started going home I noticed speedo and tach wasn't workin. Then I noticed the temp wasn't working. I checked all my switches and lights when I got home and those worked. Then I noticed when I shut off the bike my clock stayed on and the odo. Soooo that brings us to this morning. I noticed the clock was frozen, and proceeded to check the buttons for time and odo, neither work but are still displayed.

The only function I didn't check for was backlighting of the gauges.

Ill be checking my fuses when I get home tonight, but has anyone had this happen to them? If so what was the issue?

Thanks in advance.

What year? Check the back of the gauges where the large plug is, make sure it is seated.

maybe battery going out, put it on the charger or take to an auto part store for testing, also is it possible that you got water in the fusebox?

Year, 2002

Newer battery but possible

Ill check the plugs and fuses at the same time. The fuel gauge high beam indicator, turn indicators, and oil light still work

And last Friday on my way back from Colorado I did hit 100 miles of rain in Utah. I wouldn't think it could still be wet. But possible.

you dont have aftermarket headlights do you? if the ballast or heater gets to close to the gauges it causes this i have heard.

VIPERWHITEBUSA said:
you dont have aftermarket headlights do you? if the ballast or heater gets to close to the gauges it causes this i have heard.

Forgot about that... Ill check it out. My ballast is behind the panels that direct air into the radiator on the left lower fairing. Worth a look.

Honestly it can be a a number of things..... clean up the elec connections..use a multimeter and track it down.....

RYC1966 said:
Honestly it can be a a number of things..... clean up the elec connections..use a multimeter and track it down.....

Yep. Doin that now. Just so weird how the clock is on but doesn't move. I don't think a number of things can cause that. Seeming broken so far.

Weird !!! My 04 just did the same thing last week . Clock works but gauges won't at all, which means no fan if it gets hot so I can't ride. Gonna take the dash off and check the connections and fuses. Let me know what you find out !

I had a similar problem a while ago when an org member sold me a junk speedo healer. The clock worked but no life was in the speedo or tach then it would sporadically jump. Yanked that trash out and bought a new 1 from Pashnit :whistle:

frisbee said:
Weird !!! My 04 just did the same thing last week . Clock works but gauges won't at all, which means no fan if it gets hot so I can't ride. Gonna take the dash off and check the connections and fuses. Let me know what you find out !

So mine is working. Took the dash panels out. Checked all the fuses, no bad ones. While closing it I bumped that relay that is connected with a slip on rubber piece on the fuse box bracket. As soon as I bumped that even with they ignition off it test cycled and when I turned the key on all was well.

I cleaned it and left the dash panels off for the ride in tomorrow to test if its gonna mess up again. And I'll probably call about a replacement too.

Cool I'm about to take mine off this week. Hopefully I have the same problem!

Back