electrical gremlin...need help

psycobusa

Registered
as some of you know, i blew the engine in my 00 busa. i ended up replacing it with and engine and wiring harness from an 06 busa. i got it all buttoned up and started tonight. the engine runs nice and smooth. the only thing is that there is something freaky going on with the electrics to the lights.

when the key is on or if the bike is running...

the right front and rear blinkers stay on eventhough the switch is off. when i switch the right side blinkers on, nothing happens. also after about a minute or so, they get so hot that the lens starts to melt.

the headlight does not come on

when i switch the left side blinkers on, that side works normal except for the fact that the headlight blinks on and off with them.....
wow.gif

the only thing i can think of so far is that the newer bikes have the pass switch on the left clipon...ive never seen it used before so i dont know exactly what it does.
my bike still has the old light switch which does not have that pass feature. im figuring since i have the newer wiring harness (which was made for the pass feature) being connected to and older style clipon, maybe its causing the problem.....although all the plugs did mate up correctly.....or maybe its just something else.....who can figure this one out?

you need to replace your old switches bro with new ones from the 06 or ones from a Busa with the new switch style. Also are you using old ECU if so you might want to change that as well. Aslo Bro are you going to make it to the MnG here in Austin on Sept 1st. You could get some free Dyno pulls from 8-10 at Johnny's place.

are you certain the problem is having the wrong left side clipon? if so, ill get one asap.

im going to do my best to get to the M&G next sat. only problem is that i have to be at work at 5pm. and im about 3 or so hrs away.

That would be my guess as well. The pass button merely operates the high beam when depressed.

I used it to warn other motorist that skeered me before going with HIDs. I don't use it any longer.

(rubber2burn @ Aug. 23 2007,21:19) you need to replace your old switches bro with new ones from the 06 or ones from a Busa with the new switch style.  Also are you using old ECU if so you might want to change that as well.  Aslo Bro are you going to make it to the MnG here in Austin on Sept 1st.  You could get some free Dyno pulls from 8-10 at Johnny's place.
2000 ecu and 2006 are different....16 bit vs. 32

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 23 2007,23:32)
(rubber2burn @ Aug. 23 2007,21:19) you need to replace your old switches bro with new ones from the 06 or ones from a Busa with the new switch style.  Also are you using old ECU if so you might want to change that as well.  Aslo Bro are you going to make it to the MnG here in Austin on Sept 1st.  You could get some free Dyno pulls from 8-10 at Johnny's place.
2000 ecu and 2006 are different....16 bit vs. 32
don't worry, the ecu has been replaced as well with the harness and engine.

Run it down with an Ohm meter..... Start by disconnecting the blinkers and headlights of course protective wrap the ends so you don't accidentally ground the system! Then with the meter attached activate the various components and take some readings... Won't take long to figure out where your gremlin is. I too suspect your system is grounded somehow, somewhere....

(rubber2burn @ Aug. 24 2007,11:23) I am almost 100% positive that you need the new clip on bro
This IMOP isn't a direct result of the new style handle bar clip but is in all probability attributed to the wire harness not being properly installed/hooked up....

And if I'm wrong the total cost to you is $0.
Thats a lot cheaper than even a used new style handle bar control unit.
smile.gif

The biggest indications of things not being properly hooked up....
"the right front and rear blinkers stay on eventhough the switch is off. when i switch the right side blinkers on, nothing happens. also after about a minute or so, they get so hot that the lens starts to melt.

the headlight does not come on

when i switch the left side blinkers on, that side works normal except for the fact that the headlight blinks on and off with them..... "

Back