El Mirage Rookie Process

V8Pinto

Registered
Rookie Process (in a couple of parts).

Everybody says this but seriously, get the rule book and read it. Then read it again. Then think to yourself "What did I miss" and read it again. Then wait to see what you missed because you did miss something, trust me.

Download the tech inspection form from SCTA-BNI.org and go through it one by one and check the items off as you do them. Most notable (to me) are metal valve STEMS. Note that you must have your tires unmounted and mounted to install the valve stems. Also a metal battery hold down is required. You will have to fabricate one (I have pics of mine if you want).

Call or email any of the club presidents listed in the SCTA rulebook or on the site and ask them what day to show up. Some of the meets are 1 day or 2 day and I would not trust the web info. If they tell you to show up by 4pm on Friday, show up at 6am that day. Same goes for Saturday.

Call Chuck Kalbach and get a race number assigned to you. His number is in the "racing at El Mirage procedures" on the SCTA website. I would also familiarize yourself with this procedure.

When you arrive, go to the registration trailer and tell them you need to purchase a log book. If you are not a member of one of the SCTA clubs it will cost you $150 bucks. If you are a club member it only costs you $50. Most of the clubs require you to attend at least one meeting and they are only held once a month so you should start on this in advance or just pay your $150 and run.

After registration, unload your bike and all your gear and take it all over to tech inspection. Bring your support vehicle with you - it is required to have a 5lb fire extinguisher and a working CB so the tower can communicate with you.

You will have your leathers inspected and they must have no perforations and all leather panels - mail me for questions. Nothing off the shelf will work, you have to have them custom made or risk it... They will punch a hole in your new really expensive custom leathers and insert a brass punch tag showing the leathers passed and you're good to go. Hightop leather boots and gauntlet leather gloves are also required. As is a snell2000+ helmet with a sticker inside it.

After you pass tech inspection (yay!) load your bike up in the support vehicle and take it over to the starting line. You cannot ever ride it anywhere so figure out a way to easily tow it. We welded up an insert for the trailer hitch that holds the front wheel but you can use a tow rope if your arms are big enough.

Now (since you got here early) you have plenty of time to sit and talk to everyone while you wait for the rookie orientation which is held at 4pm. If you failed tech inspection, you are driving somewhere to find somebody to fix/fab/create whatever it is that you failed. At least you got here early....because if you miss rookie orientation because you're out fixing tech items YOU CANNOT RUN THE NEXT DAY. If you passed, enjoy the extra time and talk to some people about starting line procedures or just bum a cup of coffee - everybody is real friendly, bunch of really nice people.

Next time "Don't ever miss Rookie Orientation".

Great writeup! Didn't know about the battery tie down. For Maxton, since your seat holds the battery down, you don't need a tie down. (Now I'll have to make one and shave a little off the bottom of my seat for clearance)

Back