El Mirage Rookie Process part 2

V8Pinto

Registered
Don't ever miss Rookie Orientation

Do not rely on the internet for information to plan your trip. Talk to people, look up the tech inspectors and BNI board members on the SCTA website and call them voice and ask them when to show up. Then show up 12 hours before that.

By now you have prepped your bike, got your race number from Chuck Kalbach, driving to the lakebed, registered and purchased your vehicle log book, and (hopefully) passed tech inspection. A note on the vehicle log book (VLB), it is serialized in that each book has it's own number. There is a sticker in it that you put on your bike. For the life of the bike, you track the race history and safety history of it. Kinda cool.. If you ever want to sell the bike, the VLB is it's racing pedigree.

Since you showed up 12 hours earlier than you were supposed to you now have time to either frantically search around the town of Adelanto for help to fix tech stuff, or you have plenty of time before rookie orientation which is at 4pm. Bum a cup of coffee off of someone and go meet some people. Ask where the starting line is, the pits, the privies, all that.

Rookie orientation is at 4pm at the registration trailer. DO NOT MISS IT OR YOU CANNOT RACE - PERIOD> I showed up 30 minutes late on Friday (had issues in Bakersfield) and on Saturday I could not run. I spent all day Saturday WATCHING EVERYONE ELSE RACE. Just don't miss it.

Show up at the registration trailer at 3:30pm and wait. Greg Waters (200mph club) will show up at 4pm on the dot. You will review the "Racing at El Mirage Procedures" that is available on the web. He will give you a drawing of the course layout and answer any and every question you have. Make sure your support vehicle driver is there so that person can be instructed how and where to follow you on course. Everyone will then jump in trucks and Greg willl take you out on the course. You will get to see what the starting line looks like and then you will go to the finish line. Touch the dirt, look at the shut down area and gauge it's size. It is really beneficial to actually know what you will be gunning for the next day. You will also get a feel for what the wind is like out there. You will review safety procedures for you and your support vehicle driver and what to do in case of emergencies. All really usefull stuff. Rookie Orientation is a full hour of great information.

After standing around all Saturday unable to race, I was very relieved to see that Rookie Orientation is well worth the wait and definitely a requirement. All of my questions were answered.

Now walk around and visit people's trailers that you met earlier or head back to your hotel or truck for a good night's rest.

Next time - Sunrise on the Lakebed and 7am driver's meeting.

Back