educate me on the Wii

Boy is getting the Wii for Christmas.

I have a wireless router and was told the Wii can connect the internet with through it. Anything I need to know, buy or do so I download games or any recommendations?

I haven't opened the box so I honestly have no clue what is even included.
Is the sensor bar and or a memory card included or should I buy these?

So far I bought the Wii, Wii Fit, Guitar hero aerosmith edition with dual guitars, Wii Play with 2nd remote and a DragonballZ game.

he currently has a Gamecube which I am told the games will work on the Wii. I figured we would try the supplied games and let him pick out new ones he would like after he gets familiar with the game system.

you will need a way to connect to your wireless router, either hard line or wireless adapter on the wii. personally i prefer hard line for gaming on my 360

Everything should be included to start playing (sensor bar, 1 Wii-mote, 1 nunchuk controller and Wii Sports). I would recommend picking up another Wii-mote or two so you can have multiple players. Wii-motes are $40 each. Go pickup Wii Play - it comes with the game AND a Wii-mote. It's $50. The Gamecube controllers should plug in without a problem.

Sounds like with the games you already have picked up you'll have a great time!

I would recommend renting games first before blowing $50 on a game that you don't like...

EDIT: Just re-read and saw that you did get Wii Play... :agree:

Oh - and the Wii will connect wirelessly out of the box. Just setup your SSID (wireless network name) and password and it will connect to the Internet.

Everything should be included to start playing (sensor bar, 1 Wii-mote, 1 nunchuk controller and Wii Sports). I would recommend picking up another Wii-mote or two so you can have multiple players. Wii-motes are $40 each. Go pickup Wii Play - it comes with the game AND a Wii-mote. It's $50. The Gamecube controllers should plug in without a problem.

Sounds like with the games you already have picked up you'll have a great time!

I would recommend renting games first before blowing $50 on a game that you don't like...

EDIT: Just re-read and saw that you did get Wii Play... :agree:

Expect a phone call Christmas morning when Anastasia wants hers hooked up and I"m completely lost! :rofl: I bought like 5 games already. Hopefully I don't need extra controllers for them. :whistle:

like omslaw said.. wireless is simple setup.. i had never touched the wii and connected my girls to the internet without any problems at all.

Expect a phone call Christmas morning when Anastasia wants hers hooked up and I"m completely lost! :rofl: I bought like 5 games already. Hopefully I don't need extra controllers for them. :whistle:

you don't need extra controllers.. it just makes it a lot more fun to play against someone else. Wiisports is a simple game.. try playing tennis against the kid, you will enjoy yourself (and it's kind of a workout too)

you don't need extra controllers.. it just makes it a lot more fun to play against someone else. Wiisports is a simple game.. try playing tennis against the kid, you will enjoy yourself (and it's kind of a workout too)

At the minimum, I would get a 2nd Wii-mote... Tennis is more fun w/ two. Also, if you want to get your aggression out, get a 2nd nunchuk controller, too - then two can box! :laugh:

I got "my Kids" (:laugh:)wii set up to email, check the weather and the news over our Wifi! It rocks. really stupid simple! You can even plug in your SD card to it with all your digital photos and watch em on your tv! My Daughter just got a game called Raving rabids? (something like that anyway) and it is filled with all kinds of different stuff. But of all the games we have we probably get the most use out of Wii Sports. I just made Pro at Tennis! :laugh: I want to try a decent FPS on it and see how I like it. Kids are getting Rock Band for Christmas! :whistle:

thats a very nice feature

I havent' ventured out on the net with the Wii, but initial hook up and setting the wii remotes was sooooooo simple. Great directions. Oh and for anyone still looking for Wii Fit, my local best buy says they get their shipments in on Sunday and that they are opening up 8am this coming sunday. So guess where I will be. :laugh: So check with your best buy or other stores and get there on their shipment day. Save you a lot of aggrevation. Hopefully.:cheerleader:

I havent' ventured out on the net with the Wii, but initial hook up and setting the wii remotes was sooooooo simple. Great directions. Oh and for anyone still looking for Wii Fit, my local best buy says they get their shipments in on Sunday and that they are opening up 8am this coming sunday. So guess where I will be. :laugh: So check with your best buy or other stores and get there on their shipment day. Save you a lot of aggrevation. Hopefully.:cheerleader:

I got mine from K B Toys. Just walked in and asked. "sure, we got them".

Back