ECU or POWER COMMANDER

James Buchko

Registered
If I get the ECU Flashed and tuned will that eliminate the need for a Power Commander Unit? If so then the price makes sense and don't have to add additional items. Can anyone give me some pros and cons of getting the ECU flash over TRE and PC?

The stock Hayabusa Gen 2 ECU you can tune the bike without an aftermarket plug in devise. The flash you can control fan temperature, disable O2 sensor, disable pair valve, take gear limiters out, increase rev limiter, quick shifter, launch limiter, secondary throttle plates, control nitrous, steering dampener, timing and fuel curves with map switching capabilities with ECU Editor and Woolich Racing Software.

There's been about a thousand threads that debate and compare the differences. Take some time to read up on the various comments and points made for each 1 and I'm sure you'll come to a decision on which best suits your needs

You are in Jacksonville. You have one of the best tuners in your backyard, Walter Sprout of ECS Dyno. Hit him up and he will set you up with what you need.

The stock Hayabusa Gen 2 ECU you can tune the bike without an aftermarket plug in devise. The flash you can control fan temperature, disable O2 sensor, disable pair valve, take gear limiters out, increase rev limiter, quick shifter, launch limiter, secondary throttle plates, control nitrous, steering dampener, timing and fuel curves with map switching capabilities with ECU Editor and Woolich Racing Software.

How does the ECU control the steering dampner?

James PM me if you want Walter's number so you can get a hold of him also since your local if you buy a harness ($8 plus shipping from Boost By Smith) you can use my Woolish log box when Walter tunes your bike that will save you a good amount of money and let you get a nice tune on it.

There is a setting in there but I had never attempted to try to mess with it. I was surprised to see it in there. I guess you can control how much pressure is put on the steering dampner at certain speeds.

You could be right. I was looking at a map and saw the settings. I don't remember if it was a Hayabusa map or GSXR map now that you bring that point up.

Thanks for all the help. Got a hold of walt and the plan is now to flash the ECU. I ordered a PC V for the tune and dyno run. Can't wait to get all this done. Brand new 2013 so he is going to help with the break-in too.

I've used Power Commanders and I think they do OK, but all the affect is the fuel delvery, no ignition timing etc. I know with HD they are set so lean from the factory ( federal emmisions) That putting a freer flowing exhaust can make the engine run leaner than it already is. Not good. HD SERT is a reprogrammed ECU, and with the Dyno trips , it can get expensive. $600-$800. I can buy an already mapped Power Commander for $280, take a half an hour to put it on , and it runs great.

Walter now not only wants you to bring a pc5 but also a WEGO (for a 7psi stage 1?). Why not chunk another $1k on top of a budget build that not everyone agrees cannot be done simply with ecu editor?

Walter now not only wants you to bring a pc5 but also a WEGO (for a 7psi stage 1?). Why not chunk another $1k on top of a budget build that not everyone agrees cannot be done simply with ecu editor?

Unless Walter is trying to street tune it, there's no reason for the bike to need a wego. All dynos have a wideband of some kind on it.

In 5 years there hasn't been a turbo bike to roll out of my shop tuned on a power commander of any sorts. After 11% throttle the ecu goes in to alpha-N just like a power commander. (RPM VS. TPS). There's no boost reference just forced fueling with the increase in fuel pressure and whatever's programmed in the map. The only real drawback specially on a gen 1 is it takes longer to tune do to 2-3 min flash times. Still don't understand why he says to do it like that.

I don't know, I just get the feeling that if several very experienced people like you and Roger at RCC both do not think it needs the things described, I may not want to do this. I am tempted to give the St Cloud guy a chance. He is straight ECU editing on the dyno but doesn't have experience with turbos. All his bikes are nitrous and that is what he knows. He does know that ecu though and is motivated.

I think this whole dyno tuning thing and referring people to the same old folks may need to be reconsidered. We are all afraid to have our motor splattered all over the highway, but when we keep sending folks to the same people, some driving 6 or more hours one way, and there is capable people who are motivated but don't have a name for themselves yet, why not give them a chance?

He is straight ECU editing on the dyno BUT DOESNT HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH TURBOS. All his bikes are nitrous and that is what he knows. He does know that ecu though and is motivated.
You wanna let him learn to tune a turbo for the very 1st time on your bike?
I think this whole dyno tuning thing and referring people to the same old folks may need to be reconsidered. We are all afraid to have our motor splattered all over the highway, but when we keep sending folks to the same people, some driving 6 or more hours one way, and there is capable people who are motivated but don't have a name for themselves yet, why not give them a chance?
I have thousands and thousands of hard earned cash wrapped up in both my turbo bikes,Id drive 24hrs to a solid,reputable AND experienced turbo tuner than take even the slightest chance on letting a tuner with absolutey zero experience tune my turbo bike(s).

Let us know how that works out for ya ;)

Reactions: Ham
Back