ECU Flashing - a bit confused...

It is the same software. Boost by smith makes the interface cables so you are able to flash your ecu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a communication interface involved also. Greg sells it as a complete kit including the harness that connects to the ECU. He also sell the harness separately.

I cannot get to Ebay from here but from the description it is a spare harness to connect to a 2nd bike.

Once you attach the harness, you want to consider it permanent. If you are taking it to someone to tune, they may have the communication interface already. Then you would only need the harness to be installed on your bike.

I think the ebay link you are looking at has this.
ecuharnesses.jpg

You'll need all of this
ECU2.jpg

Ahhh... I think I get it now. So you buy all that stuff from Greg for the $180 and use the free software. Thanks for the help!!

While I'm on this, one more question. I'm primarily interested first in getting rid of the timing retard in the lower gears, but preserving everything else functional.

My understanding of the TRE devices is they do get rid of the timing retard, but in a very primitive way, by locking the ECU into the 5th gear mapping, which has some negative aspects.

If I get the software and the harness stuff, will I be able to figure out how to do what I want without too much hassle? I'm pretty good with computers and software in general.

Greg has a lot of videos on his site that helps out a bunch.

You should be able to figure it all out, and be able to do the basic changes. Don't try modifying the fuel or timing mapping unless you are on a dyno

You are not under any obligation to buy anything from Greg to use the software. The hacking of the ECU and software development was done independently. All of the instructions are available to build the interface if someone is handy enough with electronics. Greg started building them to supply the demand and I’d bet his price is very competitive (or likely cheaper) than trying to buy the parts 1 at time. Plus you take a bunch of the unknown out of it and there is a much better chance of it working correctly the first time.

I don’t think you will gain as much as you might think. I haven’t looked at the tables in the last couple of years but if I remember correctly the timing retard was only under part throttle conditions in the lower gears to smooth the response. Petrik posted the raw tables one time to show it. Regardless, if that is your goal, the ECU editor is the only way I would do it.

I have not personally done one. I need to order one for my bike, but have not yet. I played with the software 3-4 years ago. I’ve seen it done and seen videos of it. It is not much more than making changes with a power commander or setting up and using a data logger.

Back