ECU Flash, setting up a COM Port with windows7?

mestona

Registered
I am trying to get ECU editor to work with my netbook (windows 7) but the COM Port slot just shows blank on the editor screen. :banghead: My windows XP laptop is now down so I have to make due with this netbook. Anyone know how to fix this? :please:

I have done all of that, my computer still shows no valid COM Ports at all. My USB drives under Control Panel> System/Security> System> Device Manager just shows "USB root hub" over and over for my USB ports, it does not look like Greg's screen shots. I have also run the "Install Com Port Drivers" under setup and restarted my computer with ECU editor running in administration mode. It looks like Windows 7 will not allow me to assign COM Port #'s to my USB ports :wtf:

Beyond my knowledge, send greg a message or e-mail. I had no problem with windows 7 with my Asus netbook.

When i installed it on mine and started it for the first time hit file and made a base map then clicked connect for engine data I only had one com port showing in the drop down box. I clicked it and it worked. I didn't have to set anything up.

Stupid questions...
but you have the key on and the cutoff switch in the on/run position correct? and the gauges do not say check correct?
Fuel pump priming when you turn the key on?

The bike end of things works fine, the issue I am having is with my netbook. The drop down menu to select the Com Port just is blank and I can't assign any... The bike hooks up and talks to my wife's laptop (windows XP) just fine, but her laptop died on us a while back.

Well I followed the steps on the website, opened the "secret administrator" account, and reinstalled ECU editor (to have the latest version) and the same thing happened, my drop down COM Port box is still blank ??? I am going to have to see if one of my friends has a XP laptop to use at this point unless someone has another idea. :confused:

Yeah I have done that both in the Admin and my regular user profiles. I just shows the drop down menu as blank. It says select com port and then ________V and when I click on it I get an empty box instead of a list of com ports like I did on my wife's (XP) laptop.

go into the device manager and email me a screen shot of what it looks like in the com ports etc, are you sure you are installing the com port driver from setup inside ecu editor? Get device manager open, plug the flasher in then unplug it to make sure you really see what com port its popping up as

For some reason with the device manager open I could see com port 3 on the ECU editor, maybe that is all it took, it seems to be working now. If I have a Ca bike do I need to flash the ECU as a Ca model?

Thanks for the help as always. If anyone runs into this $h!d with their windows 7 machine PM me if you get stuck...

Back