ECU editor and PC V

So you're saying the person that built and tuned the first 6 second Hayabusa, Cecil at HTP, doesn't know what's he's doing or how to use ecu editor? Or Frank at Powerhouse doesn't know how to use Ecu Editor? And you've built how many engines and tuned how many?

Are you saying the first six second Hayabusa used the OEM ECU? I know for a fact that Frank uses ECU Editor for his Gen2 turbo builds (less than 500HP)

That's all I've done. You should probably take your own advise. I mentioned that the tuners that I have spoken with both said the PCV has better fine tuning ability. I haven't said one person was right or wrong. Only what "qualified and experienced" individuals have stated.

I still think there is some context that is being left out. I refer back to my earlier post and I will correct myself - if you can afford a full standalone Motec or whatever your flavor is... then go for it. They are the cats meow but if we are talking the difference between PC and ECU, i will stand behind my statement.

for bolt-ons, PC is fine but if you want a big motor with aftermarket fuel injectors or any other real power adder, ECU Editor is the ONLY way to go.

Correction: You are the one who insinuated a specific individual does not know what he is doing, not me. There is nothing wrong with suggesting that a tuner who prefers to work with a PCV does so because he has not fully explored ECU capabilities. Unless of course there is an ego issue?

Gentleman we only argue in the Randum Thoughts forum. :rulez:

That's all I've done. You should probably take your own advise. I mentioned that the tuners that I have spoken with both said the PCV has better fine tuning ability. I haven't said one person was right or wrong. Only what "qualified and experienced" individuals have stated.

Something else to keep in mind - I am not trying to sell you anything or convince you of anything. Just stating facts.

Also keep in mind that advice is worth every penny you pay for said advice. I am not advising people to go out and buy an ECU Harness (ECU Flashing) nor am I advising you on your build. Not to dog on Cecil or Frank. I have the utmost respect for both of them and what they do.

Something else to keep in mind - I am not trying to sell you anything or convince you of anything. Just stating facts.

Also keep in mind that advice is worth every penny you pay for said advice. I am not advising people to go out and buy an ECU Harness (ECU Flashing) nor am I advising you on your build. Not to dog on Cecil or Frank. I have the utmost respect for both of them and what they do.

All that said, the Motec unit really looks cool. ECU with onboard data logging and anything else you may need including boost, intercooler. Mmm wonder how difficult to sort out the wiring?

All that said, the Motec unit really looks cool. ECU with onboard data logging and anything else you may need including boost, intercooler. Mmm wonder how difficult to sort out the wiring?

Schnitz Racing has done it for you! they sell a plug and play unit! Motec M130 and full wire harness that fits all or most of the OEM sensors.

Something else to keep in mind - I am not trying to sell you anything or convince you of anything. Just stating facts. Also keep in mind that advice is worth every penny you pay for said advice. I am not advising people to go out and buy an ECU Harness (ECU Flashing) nor am I advising you on your build. Not to dog on Cecil or Frank. I have the utmost respect for both of them and what they do.
This isn't my build. I was just responding to the OP. Frank built my Turbo and I'm very happy with it. Cecil tuned my built gen I. I'm happy with that. I was just sharing my opinion and experience which is what he was asking for. I'm sorry if that pissed everybody off. I'll just read comments for now on.

Pretty sure this has been discussed before with Franks comments but tuning with ecueditor takes a lot more time and is harder on the bike doing a dyno tune vs pcv. On my phone now so cant search for exact thread he had said it.

I think a forum on this matter should be started on this site. First the ECU Editor is the best tuner package, You just have to understand what all those numbers mean and what they do. And if you cannot understand this system you should not be ridding a Hayabusa. The whole principal of the ECU editor is right in front of you. Forget about all the data loggers, And self tuning, And Dyno chit. That Hayabusa motor is just like you it does not understand all that crap. So what you do is put timing, fuel. stp, inj, balance, And all the rest at the right amount and you have a fast bike. It takes a lot of time to figure this Busa thing out. Can't wait to hear back from you. Just got my forks and rear spring back from Traxxion Dynamics have to go to work now.

I think a forum on this matter should be started on this site. First the ECU Editor is the best tuner package, You just have to understand what all those numbers mean and what they do. And if you cannot understand this system you should not be ridding a Hayabusa. The whole principal of the ECU editor is right in front of you. Forget about all the data loggers, And self tuning, And Dyno chit. That Hayabusa motor is just like you it does not understand all that crap. So what you do is put timing, fuel. stp, inj, balance, And all the rest at the right amount and you have a fast bike. It takes a lot of time to figure this Busa thing out. Can't wait to hear back from you. Just got my forks and rear spring back from Traxxion Dynamics have to go to work now.

Without a dyno or datalogger, you have no way of knowing what effect the changes you made have done.
You would have to be some sort of savant to tune without one of them.

Without a dyno or datalogger, you have no way of knowing what effect the changes you made have done.
You would have to be some sort of savant to tune without one of them.

I frequently get to laugh at people who "tune" without logging or dyno... thats not tuning, thats f*c*ing with sh*t you shouldnt be touching.

You must have a way to collect and interpret said data. If you make a change and have no clue what's it's doing you could be doing more harm than good. I personally have no clue about hayabusa tuning however I have been tuning 1000+ hp corvettes for years. The principal is the same. A tuner is only as good as the equipment he trained and tunes on. For me personally, I want to learn all the ins an outs of the ecu as that type of tuning is what I'm familiar with. This thread should not become a pissing contest as there are a lot of valid and good information from almost t of people who have been there, done that, and currently doing it. More people should share their knowledge and be willing to learn so that others, myself included can learn.

Off soapbox, going to take my meds and continue reading. Cheers

Schnitz Racing has done it for you! they sell a plug and play unit! Motec M130 and full wire harness that fits all or most of the OEM sensors.

Would someone explain why the Motec ECU is better as far as performance, reliability, adjustability, etc.? Looks like it has premium components and a fast processor, but why does that matter as the stock is good enough? I am not being negative on this, I just don't get it and need some schooling......

My opinion from the literature it is expensive, $3,500 plus, but has a whole lot more options for add-ons and comes with data logging. Then you are looking at professional software and support, as where ECU editor is freeware.

You must have a way to collect and interpret said data. If you make a change and have no clue what's it's doing you could be doing more harm than good. I personally have no clue about hayabusa tuning however I have been tuning 1000+ hp corvettes for years. The principal is the same. A tuner is only as good as the equipment he trained and tunes on. For me personally, I want to learn all the ins an outs of the ecu as that type of tuning is what I'm familiar with. This thread should not become a pissing contest as there are a lot of valid and good information from almost t of people who have been there, done that, and currently doing it. More people should share their knowledge and be willing to learn so that others, myself included can learn.

Off soapbox, going to take my meds and continue reading. Cheers

Bravo!

The only reason I can think of is ease of use. You Have the flash the ECU every time. It takes 5 minute. That's lots of dyno time wasted between pulls. The PCV is instant, no flash.

Its not as fast as the PC.. I'll give it that. It is getting much quicker. Especially if you have been around since the early days.

Back